Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Unlocked

Unlocked by Courtney Milan

Unlocked is a fantastic short novel about a man who faces his past, and earns the love, trust, and forgiveness of the one woman he always wanted but was afraid to go after honorably, to break out of the mode of society's expectations for him.

I totally identified with Elaine. I was picked on incessantly growing up. No matter what I did, it was the focus of ridicule in school. I followed her plan of attack and withdrew into myself, pretending like it didn't matter. If you pretend like it doesn't matter, after a while, you can deal with it and keep your composure. The prey animal that runs gets chased by the predator. Ms. Milan was spot on with her psychology in this story. It felt therapeutic to me, that she could hit at the heart of such an issue that many of us experienced, and do it so well in the context of a love story. Although I could never imagine falling in love with one of my adolescent tormenters and settling into a HEA, she made it plausible, because she showed that Evan was just a man, a man who was too scared to be real and to be stand out from the crowd in a good way. I completely fell in love with Evan, for his honest desire and efforts to make amends and to be a better man. That took so much courage, more courage than climbing a mountain. Sometimes you have to go away to grow, and he did that, and came back to fulfill his destiny. And what a man he became. Also, Elaine showed courage. She was afraid to trust Evan, to believe he had changed. He proved that he had, and she took that leap of faith when it counted. And leapt right into his arms.

Courtney Milan clearly puts a lot of thought and heart into her stories, and that's why they resonate with me. She writes about men and women who I want to see happy, to see fall in love. They aren't cardboard, samey characters. They feel distinct and real to me. I liked that Evan is somewhat awkward and afraid but works past his fear. I like that Elaine has been a social failure with a mother who is so brilliant she doesn't fit into society. She gets the passionate aspects right too. They belong there, very organic to the story's development, showing the bond between the characters, so that I hold my breath with expectation. For a die-hard historical romance novel lover, it's been a bit depressing to see an endless ocean of new books out there with few that actually move me that way romance used to. I'm glad that I have Courtney Milan's books to do that for me. It feels good to be excited about reading historical romance again. Short but sweet, Unlocked is a delightful treat for the historical romantic. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for encouraging me to pull this off the pile, MrsJ!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlocked.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Liked

Courtney Milan
“Over the years, everyone stumbles. That's why I'll be here for you — and you'll be there for me. I don't expect perfection. I want you, and you're a thousand times better.”
Courtney Milan, Unlocked

~♥*Marianna*♥~ This a very touching quick read.
I really enjoyed it!
Can't believe it was only a dollar.
I'm sure you'll like it!

Lemon Lady D, you can download the ebook on GR for $1.00. Check out http://www.goodreads.com/ebooks?page=10

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I already have it, but thanks for the heads up, Lulu.

message 5: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Can't BE-LEAVE you haven't read this yet! It's a keeper.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Hehe. You haven't seen my must read this month pile!

Rachel the Book Harlot This is totally on my TBR list!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I give it my seal of approval, Rachel!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yay!! I'm so glad you loved it! It's one of the best novellas I've ever read because it didn't feel like one. It was fully fleshed out, romantic, emotional... such an amazing read!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish NOW you just need to read Unclaimed. You. Will. LOVE it!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Totally agree with you about this book, D.

I have no doubt in my mind that Mark's book will rock my socks off!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, by the way! LOL! I was so excited that you loved it, I forgot to tell you!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I felt your appreciation, so no worries! *hugs*

message 14: by Jill (last edited Jan 13, 2012 03:44PM) (new)

Jill Great review Danielle. And agree with Dhes Unclaimed and Mark are fantastic!.
And then there's Unraveled (book #3) and Smite!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Jill. Both in the pile. I'm reading through this series pretty fast for me, so I might get to them very soon.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Jill, don't tell Danielle I said this, but, you and I may have to friendnap her and lock her in a room with nothing but Unclaimed and Unraveled, and not let her out til she's through with them!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) *Danielle runs for her life from Turner series kidnappers!*

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Jill, don't tell Danielle I said this, but, you and I may have to friendnap her and lock her in a room with nothing but Unclaimed and Unraveled, and not let her out til she's through with them!!"

I'm so with you there Dhes! I wouldn't mind being locked in a room with Mark & Smite! *grins*

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "*Danielle runs for her life from Turner series kidnappers!*"

It's for your own good Danielle! Really.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) LOL. If the real guys are there, I might be okay with that, but not sure I'd actually get any reading done. :)

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "LOL. If the real guys are there, I might okay with that, but not sure I'd actually get any reading done. :)"

LOL! Too true!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! I'm right there with you both - I doubt much reading would get done.

message 23: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Love this story! Smite is my man though! :-)

message 24: by Ally72 (last edited Jan 13, 2012 05:33PM) (new)

Ally72 Beautiful review, Danielle! I wish we could have been friends when we were children. Is it okay to read this book (novella) out of order?

message 25: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jan 13, 2012 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ally, I'm going to butt my little ol' self right in and say YES, it works WELL as a stand alone!

This coming from the Queen of MR BIOs (Must Read Books In Order syndrome.)

message 26: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Thanks Dhes...You know I am just a little OCD about those things so it is good to hear!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yeah... it's a perfect stand alone. The Turner cousins are mentioned, briefly, as I recall, but you can read this easily without having read the others.

message 28: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 This novella really appealed to me, but I was caught up on the idea that I had to read book 1 first.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Ally! Me too. I agree with Dhestiny. I think you will like this a lot!

Keri, Smite will likely be one of my faves as well.

Zumbagirl Love your review, Danielle - I've been fighting down my TBR pile and this one needs to move up on my list.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Zumbagirl. I know all about the ravaging TBR pile. It's growing and growing....

message 32: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph I'm just now seeing you read this! I'm glad you liked it!! It's one of my favorites.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I've loved everything I'd read by Courtney Milan. She's definitely one of my favorite new historical romance authors.

message 34: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I've loved everything I'd read by Courtney Milan. She's definitely one of my favorite new historical romance authors."

I have the series but I need to start it. I just keep getting sidetracked.

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Great review, Danielle! I loved this one too.

Susan (the other Susan) A good review with real insight on bullying... I'm certain that my adult friends don't remember me as an object of bullying when we were kids ; I'm fact , some of them took part in it to a mild extent. Moral of the story, and the thing I wish could be conveyed to every kid who feels like an outcast, is that adulthood changes everything.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Susan. When you go through bullying as the bullied party, it definitely changes your perspective on things, and you develop a sense of justice that won't allow you to look the other way on issues like that.