Calisto's Reviews > The Importance of Being Emily

Jun 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fluffy-pnr
Read from June 14 to 15, 2011

Magic, matchmaking and murder... is a perfect way to describe this story. Think of it as a mix of Jane Austen and Betwitched. LOL.

Emily is a hair's breadth away from being placed squarely 'on the shelf'. At the ripe old age of twenty seven, her marriage prospects are dim, especially since she is a seer. She uses her magical talent as a matchmaker, but when murder occurs at an estate party, she goes against the norm and sets out to find the guilty party. On the way, she finds her own soul mate...someone that she knows she has no future with.

Let me start with whoever says that covers aren't important for ebooks is clearly WRONG. This cover is what attracted me to this book. It made me read the blurb and both, along with the price, sold this book for me.

This story is fresh, well written, clever, has a terrific mix of historical and paranormal, as well as some very interesting characters. I truly loved the unique feel of this story.

So why three stars? Because my love is fickle and only truly adored parts not the whole. I readily admit to disliking 1st POV. I often find it to be limiting and annoying, especially when it feels like the 'voice' is narrating with a reality show feel and that just killed it for me.

The beginning was so annoying, dry and formal that even for being roughly sixty pages, it took me a long time to plod through it. When there is dialog, this story just flows, but when there are sections of narrative it grinds to a screeching annoying halt. It totally read like a yoyo to me, happy highs and dull lows.

I enjoyed the lead character, Emily, for the most part. She was 'historically' accurate in her sensibilities but that also annoyed me. I simply don't like reading about women who not only behave appropriately, but also narrate appropriately for their times. At the very least, I want to read about scandalous spunk in the narrative, even if they are rigidly proper in the outside. The only reason that I kept from hating Emily is that she works through the apparent 'impropriety' of her actions.

There is no sex in this short story, so if you are looking for a naughty smutlette this isn't it, but if you like short with romantic elements and plot, then definitely give this a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Importance of Being Emily.