Vicky's Reviews > Guards of Haven: The Adventures of Hawk and Fisher

Guards of Haven by Simon R. Green

May 26, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in January, 2008

This book includes Three stories in one book: Wolf in the Fold, Guard Against Dishonor, The Bones of Haven. It is my understanding that all three have been previously published under a different title (Fear and Loathing in Haven) so if you’ve read that, you’ve already read this.

Though I’m not usually a sword and sorcery/cop story type of reader, this book surprised me with its wry wit and offbeat humor. I was drawn in from the first line and enjoyed the stories immensely. They are set in a modern medieval world where magic is acceptable, fighting is done with swords (or in the case of Hawk, an axe), and corruption rules the land – or at least, the city of Haven. Hawk and Fisher, husband and wife Guards, are the two best crime fighters in the city. The worst area, the Northeast Corridor, is their beat and nobody crosses them. In a city where crime is the norm, they can’t be bought. Together, they attempt to bring order to chaos.

With a plot that is straightforward with just enough of a small twist to keep you interested, characters that are slightly stereotypical, but still fun, this is a lighthearted book that doesn’t take much thought. It’s pure entertainment. The only caveat I offer is one of copyediting. There are enough areas where a good grammarian would have been an asset, but it’s not enough of a problem to completely detract from the enjoyment of the story. If you like sword and sorcery, cops, wizards, and good vs. evil stories, but don’t want to have to work at the story, definitely pick this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guards of Haven.