Michael Steger's Reviews > Absalom, Absalom!

Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner

3919061
Jun 28, 11

Read in June, 2011

Faulkner famously described himself as "a failed poet," and this profound novel often feels like a tale told in verse-- one can, I think, even hear occasionally the influence of Swinburne and Housman, two poets whose work influenced Faulkner in his youth.

In any case, this is an epic story, on one level rather simple, but on another massively complex. The sentences seem to grow like kudzu, wrapping themselves around and through the pages, the narrative, and, most of all, the consciousness of the reader.

This book belongs on the highest summit of American literature, next to 'Huck Finn,' 'Moby Dick,' 'Portrait of a Lady' and handful of others.

A favorite bit:

'We have a few old mouth-to-mouth tales, we exhume from old trunks and boxes and drawers letters without salutation or signature, in which men and women who once lived and breathed are now merely initials or nicknames out of some now incomprehensible affection which sound to us like Sanskrit or Chocktaw; we see dimly people, the people in whose living blood and seed we ourselves lay dormant and waiting, in this shadowy attenation of time possessing now heroic proportions, performing their acts of simple passion and simple violence, impervious to time and inexplicable...'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absalom, Absalom!.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Your description rings true to my memory from 25 years ago. I am almost afraid to take this one on again, for some reason, but you have piqued my curiosity to take another journey into those brooding Mississippi woods.

Michael Steger Michael wrote: "Your description rings true to my memory from 25 years ago. I am almost afraid to take this one on again, for some reason, but you have piqued my curiosity to take another journey into those brood..." Thank you for your comment, Michael, and I will look forward to your thoughts should you re-read it.