Emily's Reviews > The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Third Edition, New Revised Standard Version

The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Third Edit... by Anonymous

F_50x66
May 26, 11

Recommended for: Anyone interested in the life of Christ or early Christians
Read in April, 2011, read count: 2

April 11, 2011 The Book of Luke from this edition of the Bible

I love Luke, because of its equal treatment of men and women and also because it's the Gospel that, to me, most brings Jesus to life, stressing his "human-ness." My guess is that if Jesus came back today, he'd be weeping over the fact that 2000 years ago he tried to teach us about love, and we still haven't gotten it.

April 15, 2011 The Book of Genesis from this edition of the Bible

Okay, so what I'd completely forgotten about the Book of Genesis is how very much of it is Joseph's story. That works for me, because I happen to love Joseph's story (big fan since childhood of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"), but it might get a little tedious for others. It's funny how almost all the Biblical stories we learn as kids (Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, Moses, etc.) can all be found in the first book of the Bible.

May 11, 2011 The Book of Hebrews

This book, I've recently learned, was originally a sermon. The Introduction here tells us that it was aimed at Christians who'd begun to revert to their Jewish beliefs. It's arguments are convincing, and it's a wonderful encapsulation of all basic Christian tenets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Third Edition, New Revised Standard Version.