Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)'s Reviews > Babe in Boyland

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: best-ya-comedy, favorite-ya, ya-contemporary
Read in June, 2011

This was another one of those books I’ve had on my Nook forever and just decided to see what happened one lazy afternoon when I had a little time to kill. That being said, I was beyond pleasantly surprised with Babe in Boyland. It seriously is a gem of a novel that I fell in love with.

I will say this book was extremely predictable. Anyone who has seen She’s the Man with Amanda Bynes a few years back can literally map out the entire book, but it didn’t make it any less fun to read. Jodi Gehrman is a wonderful storyteller and her words draw the reader in and keep them focused until the very last page.

Gehrman also doesn’t pull any punches or shy away from icky subjects (like how Natalie shoves a pair of socks in her underwear to perfect the male walk … seriously, it’s as funny as it sounds). The book is chock full of vibrant characters and amusing scenarios that will certainly elicit the “church giggles” in the middle of a silent library.

This is an easy read that I could relax into. It made me outright laugh and cringe multiple times, and there’s even this sweet little love story that is literally the butter cream frosting on this cake. It’s a delicious, guilty pleasure book that I know I will turn to when I need a pick-me-up after a crappy day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Babe in Boyland.