Hallie's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy
Read in August, 2011

Seven of my friends have read this and all seven gave it four stars! Can't think of another book for which the reaction has been so alike.

I was going to go with four stars, whether from sheepishly following those seven friends' ratings or from desire to keep the circle going I'm not sure. But having gone straight from the kitchen where I ate lunch standing up while finishing off the last few minutes of this one to the computer where I got the second Gentlemen Bastard audiobook from Audible, it seemed foolish. So, for the audiobook, at any rate, it's five stars. The narrator is wonderful. You can hear a sample here.

It seemed to me that this isn't totally dissimilar to The Queen's Thief series, although I'm hoping there'll be a romance to match that one's for Locke eventually! (This may have been said hundreds of times already, but I haven't seen it, and avoided reading *anything* about the books while listening.) An enormous amount of colourful swearing aside, Locke is a thief, a schemer, brilliant, a liar with the best of them, like Gen - and yet he's also utterly loyal and in his own way, deeply moral, also like Gen. And I'm certainly not a big fan of the revenge story, but Locke's willingness to accept responsibility for everything he does and his complete unwillingness to let others suffer just to satisfy his own needs, made this part of the book genuinely moving, if grim.

There are repeated flashbacks, filling in Locke's backstory from the time, aged 5, he's taken with other orphans by the Thiefmaker, through his education as a Gentleman Bastard by Father Chains, through his taken over as its leader. At first I enjoyed these mostly because I loved how the narrator read Father Chains, and on audiobook it was many hours before the payoff arrived, as each story from Locke's past fit into place in his present-day situation. And what a situation it is, by the third part of the audiobook! The payoff is great, however. There's also a lovely combination of Locke's outsmarting his adversaries, and it only becoming obvious after the fact that the reader was taken in along with those adversaries, and his utterly, totally f**king it up. Just as Father Chains prophesied.

And now Red Seas Under Red Skies has finished downloading, so I must see if there are some more dishes to wash...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hirondelle LOL :)

Hirondelle Oh, you liked it! I do not have big expectations for Red Seas under Red Skies due to hear say, but I am really hoping book 3 will be awesome (without even having read book 2! I hope to get to it before #3 comes out)