Naleen's Reviews > Alcestis

Alcestis by Katharine Beutner

Jul 15, 14

bookshelves: 2012, historical-fiction, mythology
Read from January 04 to 22, 2012

So, I didn't think I was going to make it through this story at first. I thought the begining was a little boring. I didn't appreciate the author forcing obscure details of ancient Greek life down my throat- it felt a little like Beutner was showing off her knowledge instead of building a world.

I am not quite sure when this changed for me, but it definitely did. I really appreciated the balance that Beutner took in presenting this world from the point of view of a female character, as a daughter, a wife, a sister, and eventually- a lover. Alcestis is very much aware of her place as a woman, but does not get all revolutionary about it. (Not that I mind revolutionary women... I just want to believe that their actions and thoughts and philosophy are consistent with the time they live in.)

I also really appreciated, like many others have noted, how tangible the gods and goddesses were. I didn't always understand them, but at least they were real.

Overall, this was a great book. I finished reading it a few weeks ago, and I am still thinking about it. If you like Greek mythology, pick this up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcestis.