Heather's Reviews > Sweet Silver Blues

Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook

May 29, 2011

Read from May 26 to 29, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book is amazing. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting. The idea of a Private Investigator in a Fantasy setting was too rich for me to pass up when I heard about it -- but I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it was.

Garrett, a P.I. in TunFaire, is hired by a family of gnomes to find a girl who their recently deceased family member and friend of Garrett has left a substantial chunk of silver to. Garrett hires Morley as his body guard and a few grolls to make the voyage to "The Cantard" -- a nasty place by the way everyone seems to refer to it in the book. During their little adventure they have to deal with vampires, a shapeshifter, venagati spies, vampires, and unicorns.

Glen Cook does an amazing job with this. Garrett is a very witty character. I found myself unable to wait to turn the pages and find out not only what events would happen, but how Glen Cook chooses to describe the events that transpire and the witty rapport between Garrett and Morley -- the half-darkelf muscle-for-hire.

I still like the book, but I think it was a bit short. It didn't take me long to read it at all, partly because of its length and partly just because I was enjoying it so much. As I said earlier, I enjoyed Garrett's wit throughout this entire book. The way he describes the events that take place in the book are usually pretty funny and kept me laughing every other page.

Drawbacks are that sometimes I couldn't figure out what was going on because of that wit. Instead of describing the goings on in a straightforward type of manor, he would put things a different way using metaphors. If I didn't understand those metaphors then I had no idea what was going on in that particular scene. This really only happened a few times, but I kept feeling like I was missing something. There was especially one event where Garrett has an epiphany about where to look to find this girl they're after. It seems like he "feels" this sort of line that goes from one place to another place that he's in the middle of. But I never figured out why or what was going on there. Maybe I just missed something or wasn't paying attention when I read that part -- I don't know.

Glen Cook really has a way with keeping secrets from his readers. Garrett notices something or Morley tells him about something and he makes mention of it in passing to clue you in that its there, but that the details of whatever it is will be disclosed when they are pertinent -- he just doesn't want you to know everything just yet. And I think he executes this rather well most of the time.

I almost felt like more could have been done to improve the book, but I'm still quite satisfied with it anyhow and I do recommend it to those who enjoy witty sarcasm in their books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Silver Blues.