Heather's Reviews > Book of a Thousand Days

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Mar 05, 2008

bookshelves: coming-of-age, fantasy, young-adult-fiction, worth-rereading
Recommended for: girls age 13 and up
Read in February, 2008 — I own a copy

I loved this Young Adult book! Hooray for Shannon Hale! I probably wouldn't recommend this book to girls under 12, but I think Hale has produced a wonderful heroine for the older teen set. I liked this book better than Princess Academy. I felt the themes were more accessible--everyone can relate to having a crush on someone totally out of your league. And who can’t envision the horror of being betrothed to a grotesque villain or locked up with rats? I loved how the two girls-- Saren, a princess and lady, and Dashti, a peasant “mucker” maid--reversed roles in the course of the story. The story begins with Dahti thinking that Saren is so much more valuable as a person because Saren is gentry. However, Dashti comes to realize that Saren is weak and cowardly. Slowly, Dashti evolves into a heroine partly out of necessity (she can see Saren doesn’t possess what is needed to save them) and partly because she comes to realize that she is in love, and is loveable. Hale’s writing style is amazing, as usual. And the setting of Mongolia with a dash of the mystical I found refreshingly different in today’s fantasy market. I can’t even describe what a fantastic book this is. I am always looking for books with great role models for my daughters, and this is definitely one of them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of a Thousand Days.

05/21 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Although I agree the book was absolutely amazing, I only disagree with your comment that it isn't recommended for children under 12, I think it is really dependent on the child. I read it when I was probably about 9 or 10, and thought it was fantastic. Since then I've read it again a few times per year. Though of course, I can obviously see why it wouldn't be appropriate for some younger kids, it really depends on their maturity rather than their age. .

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just remembered the part at the end, with the naked guy and the wolf (I haven't read the book for a few months so excuse me if my memory is rather vague). At that part, I'd have to agree it might not be suitable for kids of a younger age. I now seem to recall skimming over that part pretty fast!

Nadya Yeah. That WAS weird. It was also completely unnecessary. *Sighs.* I remember thinking it was strange. It annoys me, because now I can't really reccommend this to my friends without dreading what they think of it. She sorta ruined the book for that age group when it could have been fine for younger children. It really is disappointing to me.