Annalisa's Reviews > Franny and Zooey

542037
Mar 05, 2008

bookshelves: book-club, literary
Read in April, 2008

I liked this book a whole lot more after book club discussion. My problem with the book was I wanted to pick it up for a few pages and set it down but the lengthy prose style doesn't allow for tidbits. I was reading too many other books at the time and wanted a quick mindless read. However the characters, the interactions between them, and the resolution is rather poetic. If I were to sit down in one read with the story, I would probably like it more. As Lucy pointed out, it's written as a play with set descriptions and then rambling dialogue, written about two actors and their impression of their art. A play about a play. Clever.

It's basically a story about intellectual snobbism. At an age where you are discovering who you are, when you are raised with intellectual superiority, how do you settle into a society of meaningless inferiority? Where do you find meaning, particularly when everyone is putting on airs of being better and wanting something more as well? How do you question but judge not? Our fascinating discussion turned into a debate about balancing faith and science, about gaining knowledge and wisdom, but not losing your ability to rely on faith.

We also talked about the mom as the symbol for the intellectually inferior, about every man, which ties in to the realization at the end of the book. The end is the only point of the book where I finally woke up to its meaning. The built up to this unexpectedly simple realization was interesting and thought-provoking. The book certainly leaves you with much to ponder which always makes a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franny and Zooey.

Quotes Annalisa Liked

J.D. Salinger
“An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else's.”
J.D. Salinger, Franny and Zooey