William Herschel's Reviews > Tender Morsels

May 25, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, scifi-fantasy, 2011, sexuality, child-perspective
Read from June 17 to 23, 2011

Alright. I initially wanted to read this for two reasons:

1. The cover.
2. Something light to read between the expanses of Infinite Jest.

But mostly the cover. And I was not disappointed in that regard. There are lots of bear hugs and cuddling in Tender Morsels. But the delight of that was kind of ruined when, you know, you find out the bear you're hugging is a man from the real-world who is only trying to fumble at your skirts in his new bear-form.

What?

Before I get to that, there are other things I want to address. One, the book never gave me much sense of the setting. I wanted to be cast in her dream-world where things were all good, yet bad; that feeling of unrealness you get when you're put in a world where it's not exactly what it seems. But that just wasn't there. To amplify this, the book is told with switching narrators, which disturbs any opportunity for the strong sense of setting I want in such a fairytale-esque tale.

On the flip side, this was in a way supposed to be grim and dark. But the fact that the novel seems to focus on nothing but lust and sexual assault as an evil made it nearly laughable in that it never got to a point about it. What was the point of all this? There was no resolution. Nobody really came to terms with anything. In fact, it ends on quite a bittersweet note, with much emphasis on the bitter.

I liked how the bond between the sister's in the book was portrayed, and the relationship between the first Bear and Liga. But these are scant moments. I thought the book was going to have more of a "what makes us human" theme or how to deal with loss. But the only message I can see out of this is that life sucks, you can't live in a dream, you must accept the real life and all it's disappointments and grief upon grief upon grief and just smile, suck it up and deal with it. No thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender Morsels.

06/17/2011 page 55
13.0% 1 comment
06/21/2011 page 250
57.0% "why is every man in this book a rape machine? it's like there is no other evil in this book other than rape and lust." 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by jesse (new) - added it

jesse so, the only positive (/redeeming) aspect in the story was the depiction of relationships. did you like the prose?

William Herschel it was overall decent, some great passages here and there. i'm sorry I didn't enjoy the book. it seems to have otherwise good reviews so it's mostly just too big of a jump in what I usually read.