Elisha Condie's Reviews > Danny the Champion of the World

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl

May 25, 2011

bookshelves: childrens
Read in May, 2011

This is one of the sweetest books in the entire world. Danny and his father live in a little gypsy caravan behind the filling station where they work. Danny's Mum died ages ago and it's just the two of them and they are very happy together.

Then one day his Dad tells him about poaching, and how exciting it is. He teaches Danny the best ways to steal birds off the mean rich man's land and they hatch a plan to steal ALL of them the night before the big hunt to humiliate the mean rich man. But things don't run smoothly and they end up having to improvise (with the help of half the town, also in on the poaching game).

I loved reading this with my little girl. Danny and his Dad are best friends and have the best conversations and interactions. It was funny and sweet and we both loved it. It's been my favorite Dahl book we've read together. I kept thinking about how Roald's father died when he was very small and how he never knew him at all, and I wondered if this father and Danny were exactly what Dahl wished he had.

This was a lovely little book.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danny the Champion of the World.