Caroline's Reviews > I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie

F_50x66
May 25, 11

bookshelves: movies
Read in January, 2000

I Hated, Hated HATED this Movie is a collection of Roger Ebert reviews. Specifically, it is a collection of reviews for "bad" movies. The title is somewhat misleading; the reviews are of movies he did not recommend, not movies he necessarily hated. On the whole, it is an interesting, but ultimately unnecessary collection.

Roger Ebert is probably America's most popular film critic. Intelligent and accessible, he doesn't pander, and yet is not a snob. When he hates a film, he can be hilariously brutal (see his reviews of North and Patch Adams).

Of course, Roger Ebert also knows this, and he can be unbearably arrogant at times. One example is his review of Anna and the King. The review is incoherent, blatantly sexist, and riddled with errors besides. He spends most of it grumping about historical situations, previous versions of the story, and Jodie Foster's career. He actually refers to The King and I as the most "joyless" of Rodger's and Hammerstein's musicals (apparently, never having seen Carousel). Never once does he actually speak about the film itself.

I enjoyed I Hated, Hated HATED this Movie, but would never purchase it for myself. Even if all of his reviews weren’t available for free online.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie.