Norm's Reviews > Of Love and Evil

May 25, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-wish-i-d-have-skipped
Read in May, 2011

I've never read Anne Rice before, though, like many, I loved the Interview with the Vampire movie. Still, though, I'd never read anything.

So I plucked this book off the shelves and in two quick days, read this rather short tale.

And when I say 'short', I mean mercifully short.

What a lame story. The main character, let's call him Mr. Wimpy (though she called him Toby or Lucky or Fox or something else more tepid than anything else)... anyway, Mr. Wimpy is an ex-assassin.

Yeah, you're thinking all macho, right?

Well, no.

Mr. Wimpy apparently is an ex-assassin who in time time previous (told either in a prior book or the weak backstory in this book), realizes he is evil, repents, and Heaven's angels decide he would be the perfect person to travel through history remedying evilness everywhere.

Except Mr. Assassin is a wimp. He, in Rice's words, continuously 'weeps.' Barely a page goes by where either this tough dude isn't weeping, or the angels or weeping or a freaking demon is weeping. Once I counted three weeping sessions in two pages. He tries to fight a demon with a lute, for crying out loud. Er, I mean, weeping out loud.

What kind of assassin is this?

Frankly, if this is what Rice's books are like, I'll wait til the movie comes out.

As a fellow, albeit less known vampire writer, I'm ashamed for this book.

Norm

www.normcowie.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Love and Evil.

message 1: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Long According to the youth of America, angsty vampires are cool. Sadly, stories like this might be meant to take advantage of that.

message 2: by Norm (new) - rated it 1 star

Norm Actually, my review wasn't exactly clear (give me 1 star for my review). This book isn't a vampire book ... I was referring to her very solid vampire writing backlist.

You are right about the angst, though. It seems like books are being geared more to female than to male. I'm doing what I can to correct that (grin).

message 3: by Deedra (new)

Deedra Read her old stuff.The Mummy is a great read.

message 4: by Norm (new) - rated it 1 star

Norm Deedra wrote: "Read her old stuff.The Mummy is a great read."

Willing to try again with a different book. Enough time has gone by. Thanks, Deedra.

message 5: by Deedra (new)

Deedra :)

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I only liked the original Interview with the Vampire, but for those who like that series, Prince Lestat is out in October.