April's Reviews > Alien Communion

Alien Communion by Xandra Gregory

Mar 08, 08

Read in March, 2008

I like science fiction. I like romance. I like some erotica. Somehow the combination thereof just doesn't really work out quite as well for me. I read this book because I've worked on the cover, so I don't really feel qualified to give it a review. It's just not the sort of book I read; I thought it was OK. It's one of my publisher's bestsellers, though, so I know it's just me. I guess I'm just not into interspecies dating and extra appendages in my bed partners.

Still, my take on it is this:

I feel the science fiction part of the book could have been further developed and elaborated. There's an opportunity here to explore an alien race and the heroine's interaction with them in a sociological and psychological sense, more in terms of the sort of descriptions I've read in the speculative fiction genre (of which I'm a very big fan), and the novella format just isn't long enough for that. Everything felt too jam packed. So all in all, if this were a longer work, with more narrative meat between the love scenes, it might have been more to my taste. As it is, I felt so bombarded by the action and sex scenes, I had a hard time connecting with the heroine to understand her love of the aliens.

I was particularly interested in the concept of her DNA changing, though, and would have liked her physical, emotional, and mental changes chronicled a bit better throughout the book. I also like that the ending wasn't pat but still left the story on a hopeful note.

Finished reading March 5, 2008.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alien Communion.