Bob's Reviews > 10th Anniversary

10th Anniversary by James Patterson

M_50x66
May 25, 11

Read in May, 2011

I didn't really like this book, but then again I don't believe I'm the target audience for it.

This is my first James Patterson book, and I bought it because I recognized the name and thought it would be interesting to read something by a different author.

I'm a 51 year-old male, and I think this is clearly a "chick book". I'm not scared of books about romance, but this book contains characters pining for babies, falling in love with men with big athletic shoulders and soft brown hair curling around their face, guys with pretty blond hair in a ponytail, etc. I read a line to my wife where one woman tells her husband she wants to make a baby with him in fulfillment of their love for each other, and even she thought it was over the top. The plot was OK, but I didn't find the characters that interesting to me. Especially Yuki, the prosecutor, who seems so desperate to win a murder case that she doesn't seem very concerned that the accused might actually be innocent. She is disappointed she might lose the conviction because of all the time she has put into the case, with seemingly little remorse about sending an innocent woman to prison if she's wrong.

If you're a woman enjoying a busy plot intertwined with a lot of female bonding, you'll probably like this book, but if you're looking for something deeper, you probably won't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 10th Anniversary.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lilly ~ Lihllith~ I liked the busyness and the female bonding but I agree with you 100 present on the other points. Yuki for one and some of the cheesier moments of the book, like that reenactment of the Kennedy compound football game.

I'm not sure if it's because a male is writing female characters. They're strong female characters so maybe softening them up makes them more believable to him.

It's just a sad truth we (woman) live with sometimes, specially when it comes to the sad sorry world of television.

Really! There wouldn't be a Lifetime or a We Channel other wise!

message 2: by Bob (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bob I've seen comments other places that maybe either Maxine Paetro did most of the writing or maybe added the female perspective. I don't know. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way it was written, just that I don't think it crosses over to guy readers very well because of the gooey romantic aspects of it and Lindsay's blatant baby-hungriness.

Some of the other plot elements are kind of a stretch also. A San Francisco homicide detective taking a road trip to Oregon to recover a baby, and the amount of time Yuki spends enjoying good food, good liquor, good friends, and bedding a guy with long beautiful hair in the middle of a critical murder case, where real attorneys would be spending every waking minute strategizing the case and mired in briefs and paperwork.

Lilly ~ Lihllith~ Yes! So how do you cross state lines, with out the feds or tap locals before you enter their jurisdiction, to recover a baby?

Everything is very glossy! Meaning very... "Sex in the City". Which is most likely their target audience. I myself would be fine without the chiseled chest and long wavy hair general giddiness. It's enough to know they are good friend. To me it just sounds silly for gown woman to call each other by annoying little nicknames like butterfly.

To be honest I have a bad feeling about this Lindsey baby thing. I'm thinking its all a set it for another one of her tragedies.

Again you are right about Yuki. LOL She was out every night with her friends, laughing and drinking. I rarely saw her doing research.

Dawn G Definitely not the best Patterson to start with! And this is the Womens Murder Club Series..if anything start with the first to see how you like meeting the characters

Renee Cronin I recommend you start with the first book, 1st to Die for the series. Or read his Alex Cross series.

Paula Vaughn Bob: please don't shy away from James Patterson because of this book. A lot of his earlier works are really good. 10th Anniversary was definitely not the best book he's written. Try some of his stuff that's not the WMC, or try starting with 1st To Die.