Natalie's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jun 29, 2011

Read from May 25 to 29, 2011

I just finished reading Sense and Sensibility and I first want to mention it exceeded all my expectations (which I have to admit were, at the start, rather low). I was particularly biased against Jane Austen and opposed to reading her works because, despite the fact that I loved the 1995 movie version of S&S as a kid, I abhorred the idea of reading the story because I assumed Austen had written it as some intense love story I wouldn't be able to sit through. I am unashamed to admit I was absolutely mistaken. In fact, I fell in love with her so hard and so fast I went out and bought The Complete Novels the day after I started reading S&S.

What primarily motivated this change of heart was her writing style (the story itself already had a spot in my heart thanks to the movie). The book went at a nice pace, contained a good amount of humour littered about (I laughed a good minute at her description of John. "He was not an ill-disposed young man, unless to be rather cold hearted, and rather selfish, is to be ill-disposed." Even now it still makes me laugh softly to myself), and the characters were developed well which allowed for a solid opinion to be formed on each one. I was so in love/involved there were times I had to pause every so often to quickly unload my emotions on twitter or anyone who would listen. I don't think I've been this emotionally invested in a book since Harry Potter.

Off the top of my head the only thing I wish had been done differently is the speed at which Marianne and Brandon's plotline wrapped up (I do love them so). If only a little more had been explained, giving it the attention it deserves, I would have no complaints. My expectations for their story were a bit let down by the hasty conclusion Austen gave them and resulted in my feeling a little unsatisfied. However, this setback was not enough to dampen my joy and admiration for the story. I am glad beyond belief I gave Austen a fair chance and I'm excited to read the rest of her works.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

Quotes Natalie Liked

Jane Austen
“It is not everyone,' said Elinor, 'who has your passion for dead leaves.”
Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility