Nick McGreggor's Reviews > Moonshine

Moonshine by Rob Thurman

May 25, 11

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, very-dark-things

Not bad. I enjoyed it. Some great interaction between Cal and Niko. Amusing banter.

Robin Goodfellows is a great character. One of my favorites.

There werewolves did not work for me. Didn’t like Flay, didn’t like the two-headed one (although the fight scene on the roof was tense and well done). Promise and George never really filled out completely for me.

I’m often told that Auphe are the baddest of the bad, but I don’t remember seeing anything that proved it out in this particular book—though I’m keeping an open mind and trusting the author.

However, the scenes beneath/inside the bridge were excellent. That creature was creepy as hell…and the opening scene of the book was very strong, very well done. I must admit I like the dark, creepy vibe of the book.

Which leads me to my major gripe and why this is 3 stars for me instead of 4. This *particular book* feels too much like the show Supernatural. I’m sorry, it simply does. Cal, tainted, half-monster, bitching about being a half monster and the possibility of going all evil, etc. Niko, his brother, who is constantly looking out for him/taking care of him. Their relationship. Their broken home life.

Still, that doesn’t make it bad or not worth reading. It was fun. I’ll definitely read more in this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonshine.