Alyssa's Reviews > Wither

3631974
Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in August, 2011

Rhine is sixteen years old, growing up in a world when men die when they're 25 and women die when they're 20 because of a genetic mutation. One day Rhine is stolen from her life with her brother and forced to marry a man she does not love in order to reproduce. Rhine vows to escape back to her brother but finds this feat will not be as easy as she hopes.
This book had a lot of potential but didn't quite carry though. I really liked the premiss and the characters weren't bad, but the book didn't actually go anywhere until the last pages. It used a lot of time to set up the world and the life Rhine was forced to live, but the plot hardly advanced at all by the end of the book. I usually enjoy reading about the world of books and what's different than ours, but the book focused too much time on the day to day. With the way the book ended, I would be interested in reading the sequel, but I'm not dying to know what comes next.
I will say though that the cover is beautifully designed and the pages inside follow the design choices as well. That was pretty cool to see. If only the content could live up to the cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.