Denise's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

May 25, 2011

liked it
Read in May, 2011

Well this book is quite a read! It has a bit of everything, memoir of a wild adolescence, critique of the New York catering business, love story to European food and tragic tale of a unfulfilled marriage. I loved the food parts but found the unemotional re-telling of the troubled and very high risk teen age years disturbing. What horrible parents -- what selfish decisions and what a mess the family is even years later! The unfulfilled marriage is another issue -- getting married to extend a green card is never a good idea. Marrying a man after years of being exclusively homosexual is another wild mistake by an arrested adolescent! I hope they are able to love their sons unconditionally despite not being able to really love one another.

I admire Gabby’s work ethic and vision but find very little else to admire – she is still in need of some maturing and mellowing even now. I hope she doesn’t damage her children as much as her parents damaged her! Seek counseling -- Now!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.