Brad Sells's Reviews > Shades of Earth

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

May 25, 2011

bookshelves: edelweiss-arc, 2012-favorites, 2012-top-12, signed-books, all-time-favorites
Read from November 16 to 23, 2012

Minutes after I finished SHADES OF EARTH:

OH. MY. STARS. I CAN'T EVEN. I SERIOUSLY CAN'T EVEN.

SHADES OF EARTH is seriously one of the best finales to a YA trilogy EVER. So much action, so many secrets, so many betrayals, SO MUCH EMOTIONS. I still can't get over how much I adore this book -- and this series.

Guys, you are going to LOVE SHADES OF EARTH. It's definitely my favorite in this trilogy (and I love all of them), and Beth Revis just made this awesome and epic and wonderful and incredible book that made me feel ALL of the feels. Seriously, this book is fantastic.

AND THAT ENDING. OH MY LORD, I THINK BETH REVIS WAS TRYING TO KILL ALL OF US. But still, that ending, and this book in general, is just amazing.

Full review to come after I'm done fanboying. And who knows how long that will take.

My actual review:

WOW. One word: WOW. Beth Revis never disappoints with her novels, and SHADES OF EARTH was one of the best conclusions to a series I have read. Props to Beth for making such an amazing, wonderful and epic trilogy! I'm going to miss these characters.

First off, I should say that SHADES OF EARTH begins with a bang; the action begs right away and never stops. Crash landing is all that comes about Amy and Elder's mission that they have worked towards, and I think the synopsis puts it best: Almost home. But do you remember Orion? The crazy dude from the first book? All I will say is that he may have not been so crazy after all...

Beth Revis's writing style is just incredible, with all of her novels. Right away, I was hooked and sucked back into the story along with these characters that I dearly love. I felt like I was walking around, exploring this unfamiliar and new world with these characters, and I love it that Beth Revis managed to make me feel that way in each of her books.

Speaking of new world, can I just say that the world-building in this book was excellent? The atmosphere and all of the creatures in SHADES OF EARTH terrified me, as well as intrigued me. Gosh, why can't Hollywood finally jump on the AtU trilogy so I can see this world for myself? The author did a wonderful and fantastic job at creating and explaining the world to the reader, and all of the secrets and betrayals that occurred in this new world was brilliant.

Also, there are SO many secrets that are revealed in SHADES OF EARTH. It is insane, yet epic at the same time. Everything that we learned that was being kept a secret from us is brought to light in this book, and when you find out what they are, your jaw will fall open.

And that ending? HA HA HA HA WHAT WAS THAT?! I think Beth Revis was trying to kill us ALL with that ending. I will definitely not spoil it for you, but guys, there are so many turns and surprises in SHADES OF EARTH and you will not see this ending coming.

Overall, SHADES OF EARTH is one of the best finales I have ever read about -- it's also my favorite in this trilogy. Beth Revis, thank you for making this great series. I'm so sad to see it go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Earth.

11/15/2012 "OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH HERE WE GO, GUYS. I JUST KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING."
02/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Reece Wonder why they do that? Most people get attached to the covers of a series they love, right?

Brad Sells Julie wrote: "Wonder why they do that? Most people get attached to the covers of a series they love, right?"

Seriously. And the covers to the first two books in the trilogy are STUNNING. I honestly don't see why they changed the covers.

Laura WTF? It's ugly too. I loved the old ones. EFF THIS!!!

Brad Sells John wrote: "yeh, i wonder if they will publish this straight to paperback or if there will be a hardcover available :s Brad wrote: "John wrote: "the new covers http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-conte......"

I think that they are making a hardcover version of Shades of Earth.

Brad Sells Laura wrote: "WTF? It's ugly too. I loved the old ones. EFF THIS!!!"

Seriously. Did you see the promo cover? It was a purple sky set in space and had a bunch of stars and it looked SO GOOD. I can't believe that they changed it.

message 7: by João (new)

João yeh i know but i wish there was one of the others too.
btw just to let you know since i know you liked the first books, scarlet and lullaby covers were revaled :)Brad wrote: "John wrote: "yeh, i wonder if they will publish this straight to paperback or if there will be a hardcover available :s Brad wrote: "John wrote: "the new covers http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-cont..."

Brad Sells John wrote: "yeh i know but i wish there was one of the others too.

I saw Lullaby and Scarlet's covers and look so amazing! Love both those covers :D

message 9: by João (new)

João btw was this the original cover? http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photo...

message 10: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Sells John wrote: "btw was this the original cover? http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photo..."

I'm not too sure. There was a promo cover with a purple sky set in space that said stuff like "Shades of Earth" and "Cover Not Final", but I've never seen this before. I just hate how Shades of Earth won't match the original covers on a bookshelf. :/

message 11: by Aneeqah (new) - added it

Aneeqah I am so mad about this as well! I'm totally considering sending an email to PenguinTeen to ask them to do a 3rd cover matching the first 2.

message 12: by Reagan (new)

Reagan Yeah. I don't prefer the covers of the first two books either, but this is crazy..

message 13: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Sells Aneeqah wrote: "I am so mad about this as well! I'm totally considering sending an email to PenguinTeen to ask them to do a 3rd cover matching the first 2."

I wish they had kept the same design going. I also wish A Million Suns had a reversible cover like Across the Universe did. That was so awesome! :D

message 14: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Sells Fred wrote: "Yeah. I don't prefer the covers of the first two books either, but this is crazy.."

You don't like the Across the Universe or A Million Suns covers?! :O

message 15: by Reagan (new)

Reagan No. They seem kind of bland to me. I haven't read them. Are they good?

message 16: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Sells Fred wrote: "No. They seem kind of bland to me. I haven't read them. Are they good?"

The books are so amazing. And the covers represent the books the books really well. Love those covers, and I'm so mad about this cover change.

message 17: by Reagan (new)

Reagan Oh well. I saw the cover for Scarlet. That's the same!!

message 18: by Jesse (new)

Jesse It's just horrible, and makes no sense. At first I thought it was a joke. Def not buying that one, maybe the kindle version.

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy Isn't this cover for another edition? Won't the matching cover be released as soon as the publishing companies decide to publish that edition? Ok I hope they do cause this cover is shit haha.

message 20: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Sells I don't think so. They changed the Across the Universe covers to appeal to more reading audiences, so this cover is the U.S.
edition. I wish that they would match though, but they won't :(

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne Fermin Hi! Hmm, was there a love triangle in this series? :)

message 22: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Sells Anne wrote: "Hi! Hmm, was there a love triangle in this series? :)"

Hey there! There's is sort of a love triangle in SHADES OF EARTH (book three), but not really. You'll have to read it to know what I mean :D

message 23: by Anne (new)

Anne Fermin Thanks so much! :)