Allie's Reviews > The Devil in the Junior League

The Devil in the Junior League by Linda Francis Lee

May 25, 2011

bookshelves: beach-books, favorites, book-club
Read from April 12 to 14, 2012

What can I say? I pretty much loved this book. As a member of the Junior League (though not in Texas) this story had me laughing out loud and rooting for Frede. The Junior League of Willow Creek, Texas is described in exactly the way I imagined the Junior League to be. Exclusive and snobby with back-stabbing women who had nothing better to do all day than sip tea and think up ways to one-up another. Thankfully, my Junior League Chapter is nothing like that.

Frede Ware is the Queen of JLWC. The legacy member and the future President. Her League life is perfect... perfect committee choice, perfect husband, home and style. It all falls apart one day when her perfect husband disappears taking all her money with him. What comes next is a great lesson in self-discovery. Frede, in exchange for his free services and while trying to maintain her dignity in spite of the humiliating betrayal of her husband, agrees to get Nikki Grout, the so-wrong-for-the-JLWC wife of her attorney neighbor, Howard, into the JLWC. Little does Frede know, she will learn more about herself than she ever thought she could.

I can see why the AJLI dislikes this book. It does not cast the JL in a good light... at first. The exclusivity, the stereo typical woman, the snobbishness. But, by the end of the story, the ladies of the League come together to help Frede get her dignity back.

A must-read for any Junior League member!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the Junior League.

04/13/2012 page 230