Leslie's Reviews > Pilate's Wife

Pilate's Wife by Antoinette May

Nov 12, 11

Read from August 21 to November 09, 2011

I enjoy a classic romance novel as much as the next reader (laughter), which is precisely why Pilate’s Wife was so shockingly disappointing. Maybe the let down stems from the fact that this novel is marketed as historical fiction. True there are historical events sprinkled here and there. It’s also true that the people depicted in this novel are historical figures. Certainly, the filler is a bunch of fiction…wait, so it is historical fiction! Then why am I left feeling yucky? I’ve actually thought about this question and come up with a few good reasons. First, there really is no stand out character. Claudia is not an appealing heroin even though the events surrounding her were dramatic. In fact, I was more interested in the fate of Claudia’s older sister Marcella. But she hadn’t married the future Governor of Judea, the man who would forever be linked to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ (I’ll just have to get over it). Second, Pilate’s role is miniscule. There is still much about him that I don’t know. Finally, the steamiest most overwrought part of the book is Claudia’s relationship with Holtan the gladiator. Out of nowhere this book shifted from an historical fiction to a harlequin romance!

With all of that being said, don’t regret picking it up. The cover is beautiful (always a plus) and I’m glad, like with most books, that I read it. It wasn’t the worst book I’ve read by far but let's face it, as a follow up to the Prodigal Summer, it never really had a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pilate's Wife.