Amy's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: favourite
Read in March, 2012

I loved this book, and all of the questions it raised.

Each character was unique and although I liked some a lot more than others, each of them were going through something different which meant that it was easy to relate to at least somebody in the book.

I loved Bennie, Rob and Sasha the most, but I also thought Sasha's daughter's chapter was the most unique in the way it was written. The slides were an interesting way to mix up how you usually read a book, and felt refreshing which reflected how that chapter's POV was the youngest.

The feeling of loss (of loved ones, hopes, dreams, goals, the way things were) was really evident throughout the book, but there were still small moments of hope and happiness.

I'd love to read this book again in a few months because I probably missed a connection or two between the vast amount of characters, but that's one of the things I loved. The fact that in each chapter their was a minor character who would later have a chapter all to themselves was great and it felt like it was drawing you deeper and deeper into the lives of everyone and the story itself.

Definitely one of my favourite! :)

03/04/2012 page 50