eyupcan's Reviews > The Big Sleep

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

M 50x66
Aug 05, 11

Read in May, 2011

Advantures of philip marlowe,the funny kidder dedective.25 bucks a day,so cheap to hire.he s a macho kidder.he's hired to reveal whereabouts of a lost man that drags him into affairs of a strange family.

I liked this guy when I first listened on bbc7 which is now bbc4 extra.cough it up,shake up your business,beat it are some phrases I like and funny talking he does.it reminds me of dirty harry

I listened to audio version of the big sleep over and over again.Ed Bishop is great.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Sleep.

Quotes eyupcan Liked

Raymond Chandler
“It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark little clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollars.”

Raymond Chandler
“You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that, oil and water were the same as wind and air to you. You just slept the big sleep, not caring about the nastiness of how you died or where you fell. Me, I was part of the nastiness now. Far more a part of it than Rusty Regan was.”

Raymond Chandler
“What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on the top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you. You just slept the big sleep, not caring about the nastiness of how you died or where you fell.”

Raymond Chandler
“I don't mind your showing me your legs. They're very swell legs and it's a pleasure to make their acquaintace. I don't mind if you don't like my manners. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them during the long winter nights.”

Raymond Chandler
“It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.”

Raymond Chandler
“She lowered her lashes until they almost cuddled her cheeks and slowly raised them again, like a theatre curtain. I was to get to know that trick. That was supposed to make me roll over on my back with all four paws in the air.”

Raymond Chandler
“The main hallway of the Sternwood place was two stories high. Over the entrance doors, which would have let in a troop of Indian elephants, there was a broad stained-glass panel showing a knight in dark armor rescuing a lady who was tied to a tree and didn’t have any clothes on but some very long and convenient hair. The knight had pushed the vizor of his helmet back to be sociable, and he was fiddling with the knots on the ropes that tied the lady to the tree and not getting anywhere. I stood there and thought that if I lived in the house, I would sooner or later have to climb up there and help him. He didn’t seem to be really trying.”

Raymond Chandler
“She bent over me again. Blood began to move around in me, like a prospective tenant looking over a house.”