Megan's Reviews > The Stephen King Collection: Stories from Night Shift

The Stephen King Collection by Stephen King

May 25, 2011

bookshelves: audio-book, horror, not-mine-library, short-stories
Read from May 25 to June 01, 2011

I can’t recommend this collection enough. Stephen King is at his best when writing short stories, and I love the unpolished, experimental style his writing had when he was just starting out. His focus then wasn’t strictly horror although it does feature a central theme of fear and the surreal. Over the years, his writing style became more polished. Although I love his later short stories just as much, they seem a little more carefully written than his earlier ones. Or maybe I’m just full of it, lol. It’s been years since I’ve read much by him.

Adding to my enjoyment of this particular audio version is the dramatic reading by John Glover, the background sounds and creepy music added to the stories, and the fact that I listened to many of them late at night, driving home from work on lonely and desolate roads.

There are titles that I remember loving as a teenager:

I Know What You Need a story about voodoo, love and obsession

Night Surf about a group of teenagers surviving in a post-apocalyptic world (These kids are Captain Trips survivors for you fans of The Stand)

Jerusalem’s Lot sort of a prequel to Salem's Lot

Sometimes They Come Back bullying hoodlums from hell (literally!)

Strawberry Spring and The Man Who Loved Flowers feature serial killers who Dexter would love to track down

But of course, reading tastes change. The above stories were my favorites when I was a teen, but as an adult I found the following to be much more intense:

The Woman in the Room an incredibly powerful and emotional tale about chronic illness, death and love

Battleground Somehow I forgot all about this one until hearing it here. But it must have struck me back then because those little green army men have always freaked me the fuck out. Guess this was just a story that was pushed way back into my subconscious!

People tend to have a pre-formed opinion of King. But I will always strongly recommend his short stories. While King might not be the best writer, he is a master storyteller. True, his novels easily go astray in the land of the long winded. With this format, King is forced to get to the point quickly and it definitely works in his favor. These are amazing stories that I love just as much now as when I first read them over twenty years ago .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stephen King Collection.

02/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana You've been going through a lot of audio books lately. Next step is e-reader?;)

Megan The only thing stoping me from purchasing an e-reader is the fact that I would spend so much money on e-books with the justification that it is cheaper than a paper book. End result, needless money was spent regardless, lol!

No, I just decided to utilize my long commute by listening to audio books. Normally I listen to NPR, but e-books are so much more enjoyable than current events. Ignorance is bliss, right? ;)

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Let me tell you something about my ereader. I've had it for about 4 months and I bought maybe 2 books. The rest were borrowed from libraries or ARCs from Netgalley and Galleygrab.

I started listening to audiobooks about 4 years ago when some parts of my work were dedicated to data entries (yawn!). If I am not mistaken, my first audio reads were Sookie books. Needless to say, I was hooked! And I got hubby addicted to them as well. He even goes to sleep every night wearing his earphones:)

Megan Netgalley & Galleygrab are available on e-readers? Those may be the magic words, Tatiana! I seethe with jealousy everytime I see updates re: books from those sites, but can't imagine spending hours sitting in front of the computer. Hmmm.... it may be time to go shoping, lol

Was it hard to concentrate on data entry while Eric was getting to know Sookie? :)

message 5: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana That's mainly why I got my Nook - to read those ARCs (I strongly recommend Nook BTW, Kindle is not friendly to all ARC files).

Hmmm. I still remember being mightily diverted during some scenes - for example when he rubbed himself off against her while feeding her his blood in book 3. LOL

Megan I've heard from a few people that they prefer Nook. Knowing it is better for ARC's is about the best selling point though.

Can't imagine being in public and listening to certain Eric scenes! People would see a quiet girl with earphones and a very embarrased blush, lol.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie Book three - SOLD!

Megan Katie wrote: "Book three - SOLD!"

=)

message 9: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Megan wrote: "I've heard from a few people that they prefer Nook. Knowing it is better for ARC's is about the best selling point though.

Can't imagine being in public and listening to certain Eric scenes! Pe..."

Plus a new model of Nook just came out and I saw my older model at WalMart $30 cheaper than what I paid for it several months ago. So there are some good options out there right now.

Megan Really, Nook @Walmart? Somehow, I thought it was only available at Barnes & Noble

message 11: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I thought so too, but then I saw both Nooks and Kindles there. They are sold in Best Buy too.

message 12: by Megan (last edited Jun 08, 2011 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Best Buy has some good sales, too... there may be a Nook in the near future :) Thanks for the info!

Flannery Just to balance the scales a bit, I still put all of my ARCS on my Kindle. It takes a bit of finagling but it can happen. But e-readers kick ass.

Also, I love SK. I get a craving for his stuff once in awhile. You are so right--he is truly a master storyteller.