Nate Jordon's Reviews > Pedagogy of the Oppressed

Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire

May 25, 2011

Read in May, 2011

Whether you want to know how to be an effective teacher / professor or you want to know how to start a revolution, this is the book for you. This modern day "Robin Hood Manifesto" is profound in depth, with aims clear and concise. I'm certain a plethora of reviews, opinions, and college papers have been written about the book, so I'll keep mine to a minimum and let the book speak for itself:

“People confuse freedom with maintenance of the status quo. Threaten the status quo, and the status quo will determine that as a threat to freedom itself.”

“The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom. Freedom would require them to eject this image and replace it with autonomy and responsibility. Freedom is acquired by conquest, not by gift. It must be pursued constantly and responsibly. Freedom is not an ideal located outside of man; nor is it an idea which becomes myth. It is rather the indispensable condition for the quest for human completion.”

“In their unrestrained eagerness to possess, the oppressors develop the conviction that it is possible for them to transform everything into objects of their purchasing power; hence their strictly materialistic concept of existence. Money is the measure of all things, and profit the primary goal. For the oppressors, what is worthwhile is to have more—always more—even at the cost of the oppressed having less or having nothing. For them, to be is to have and to be the class of the ‘haves.’”

Just a few gems there. Read the book and find 180+ pages of them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pedagogy of the Oppressed.

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Nate, I can't resist telling you that I met Freire. He kissed me on the cheek: a luminous moment.

Nate Jordon No. Frickin'. Way. I'm sure that cheek still glows.

I'm about to read the sequel - Pedagogy of Hope - have you read that?

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Haven't read that. Yet.