Trudi's Reviews > Still Missing

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Jul 01, 11

bookshelves: crime-mystery, 2011-reads, grief-and-loss, twss, woman-in-peril, survive-this
Read from June 29 to July 01, 2011

This is an awesome book for a summer read -- lots of tension and suspense laced throughout a perfectly paced story that just hums with energy and emotion. I liked this one a lot. I was especially surprised and pleased by how much the story moved me. I picked it up because I was looking for something fast-paced and intense. I assumed the meat of the story was going to rely on all the squicky details of Annie's abduction and escape (and there is a lot of that to be sure) but the story also relies on Annie's life once she returns home. I found those details well-written, believable and fascinating.

The story grabbed me and held me for the time I spent reading it and totally delivered on the reading experience I was craving. In fact, Chevy Stevens' writing reminds me a lot of Joy Fielding who I've described in a review this way:
for sheer suspense and page-turning storytelling, its hard to beat Joy Fielding. Whenever I’m distracted and just need a solid, pulpy, “woman in peril” read, I always turn to her and I’m never disappointed. I can’t figure out her secret ... most of the salient plot points I forget soon after I put the book down ... BUT while I’m reading I’m totally engaged. The world falls away and the only thing I’m thinking about is the story. That’s quite a feat in my books.
To be sure Still Missing isn't a book that's going to stay with me for life, or one I will look to re-read down the road. It certainly has its weaknesses. For a running list of those see this slicing and dicing review here. For me, the novel succeeds brilliantly for what it is -- a pulpy page-turner that will help the world fall away for a day.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Missing.

Jason Haha, I agree with Jennifer!

Trudi Jason wrote: "Haha, I agree with Jennifer!"

LOL, yeah, her review is awesome. I was A LOT more forgiving. I know the problems are there, I just chose not to see them. I do that sometimes. Plus, I'm a sucker for this type of tawdry, pulpy melodrama, especially in the summer baking in the sun after three glasses of wine ;)