Lori (Pure Imagination)'s Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

Dec 01, 2011

Read from October 17 to 20, 2011

For some reason Legend just didn't jump out at me. Maybe it's the monochromatic cover? Maybe I'm getting a little burned out on dystopia (who would have thought!?). Whatever the reason is and I am thrilled that I still picked the book up because it was so utterly fantastic.

Lu takes a standard dystopia format and makes it completely unique by making it very character driven. June and Day's world was a scary place, but there isn't a ton of focus on that in this book. I found that refreshing. The characters weren't trying to overthrow their government and such. They were faced with their own problems albeit they were big problems. I found that take rather refreshing after some of the 'characters taking on the world' books I've read lately. I have a feeling that the next book might be a little more like that, but I'm completely fine with that. I had a whole book to get to know them before they are faced with those challenges.

I didn't notice that this book is from two different perspectives until I started reading it. Two very, very different perspectives. I almost always prefer a girl's pov over a boy's. Not in this case. Day was just a more likeable character. He might have been the most wanted criminal in the Republic, but you can't hold that against him. He never really does anything wrong. He's more like a Robin Hood type and I love Robin Hood.

June on the other hand was a little bit harder to swallow. I ended up liking her, but at first I didn't know if I would be able to connect with her. Her development throughout the story was great and it turned her into a sympathetic character before the end.

I just really, really recommend this book. I recently read another dystopian with lots of buzz and I loved this one much more than that one! Legend deserves lots of buzz. It's a awesome and compelling debut!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

10/18/2011 page 117
35.0% "I'm really liking this!"