Joshua Simon's Reviews > Chronicles of the Black Company

Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook

May 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, military-fantasy
Read in June, 2008

Almost from the moment I finished reading this book and every subsequent one in the series, Glen Cook has been my favorite author. His narrative is great and his characters are both fully developed and individually unique. Almost from the beginning you get the feeling you know each of them. In my opinion, characterization has always been Cook's biggest strength and these books provide the reader with a great example of what to expect from his work.

That being said, the story itself is also interesting, well thought out (with a few nice twists), and overall pretty unique for the time (following the lives of the common soldier as they get caught up into something much bigger than any of them realized). It's a crime that it took so long for people to give this series a chance but I guess better late than never.

The first 3 books of the series which are collected in the first omnibus are must reads for anyone endjoying the darker side of fantasy. All are quick reads so do yourself a favor and give the series a shot. If you don't like it by the end of the first omnibus, you can probably stop reading because it just isn't for you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicles of the Black Company.