Hans de Zwart's Reviews > Nothing to Hide: The False Tradeoff between Privacy and Security

Nothing to Hide by Daniel J. Solove

May 30, 13

Read from November 30, 2012 to May 28, 2013

Solove's book is very readable overview of privacy, security and the law. He clearly show what protections the first and fourth amendments give you and suggest ways if improving the current situation.

Even though the book is completely focused on laws in the United States I think his three basic principles for regulating privacy and security are valid anywhere: minimize gathering and use, particularized suspicion and oversight.

His questions to ask about any security measure we want to implement are great too: Does it work well? Does it cause any problems for privacy and civil liberties? What kind of oversight and regulation will resolve or ameliorate these problems? If there must be a tradeoff between privacy and security, to what extent should a security measure be limited to protect privacy?

Finally, I think he is spot on when he writes that it our future surveillance is more likely to look like Kafka's "The Trial" than Orwell's "1984".
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing to Hide.

05/30/2013 marked as: read