Jessica(Spinecracker)'s Reviews > Angels Fall

Jun 16, 12

liked it
Read from May 25 to 27, 2011

Originally Posted at: http://thespinecracker.blogspot.com/

There's no doubt about it, I understand why Nora Roberts is the acclaimed author that she is. She's got the skills. Her characters are some of the best I've read. She draws you in to their lives, and really makes you feel like you're a part of the cast, and that you're living the story alongside the characters. {Can you smell the "but" coming} Having said that, this book and I didn't become best friends.

There was a LOT of "middle" in this book. The story starts quickly enough with it's mysterious heroine, whos sordid past teases the reader into becoming interested in everything about her. Then the accused murder happens and you think you've got all the makings of a non-stop story ahead of you. That's not necessarily the case. In my opinion, the pace of the story was way too slow. There is some suspense, but it didn't grip me. It just wasn't scary enough. What I mean is, I didn't feel that anyone was ever truly in danger. So, that aspect fell very flat for me. And without the suspense it became a lot of the same characters doing basically the same things.

Now having said that, I will admit that I loved every character here. They are the shinning stars of the book. I couldn't help but become attached to the three dimensional cast. Every time I thought about skimming forward in the book I would think "But I'll miss seeing if Brody's hard shell will ever crack, and I'll miss seeing Reece fight with Joanie about changing the diner's recipes {my inner chef loved that Reece is a chef}, and will miss out on watching the back and forth with Linda-gail and Lo." In the end, I never could skim forward and that had everything to do with the cast.

The romance between Brody and Reece is subtle, and didn't force itself into the plot more than it should have. Their characters have a fantastic push-and-pull, and watching their relationship unfold was a pleasure. Their dialogue and interactions are realistic and their personalities traits didn't slip up once. The strength of these two characters are what pulled the story forward for me.

Bottom Line: The town, the supporting cast, and the hero/heroine were a delight. Unfortunately, the plot and suspense fell short for me. Would be a great book for a day at the beach/lake/park, as it never takes you too far from reality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels Fall.

05/25/2011 page 37
8.0% "My "dare" begins."
05/26/2011 page 232
53.0% 1 comment
05/27/2011
100.0% "Yup, still an Urban Fantasy gal. Through and through"