Amy's Reviews > Enormous Changes at the Last Minute

Enormous Changes at the Last Minute by Grace Paley

May 25, 11

It took me a couple stories to get into Paley's style - dialogue without quotations, frank, packed sentences. This collection is so fresh and funny and sad and serious, it has made me think a little more about what I want to say in my own fiction, to look at the world a little more widely and try, try to see it just as it is. Paley captures a very quickly changing New York - and America - with her mostly unwed mothers raised in socialist households and trying to raise good citizens in a Vietnam War era (only as distant background) urban life, complete with rising concerns on over-population, pollution, crime, the downslide of American education and all that the future might become in such an atmosphere, though the most recurring character, Faith, can't see the future. She can see only her own actions, her own needs, right now, often to the detriment of her small (father absent) children. And isn't that just the way life is.

Thank you, Grace Paley.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enormous Changes at the Last Minute.