Tatiana's Reviews > Past Perfect

May 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ala-ya-2012, ya
Recommended to Tatiana by: Flannery
Read from May 29 to 30, 2011

Who knew people obsessed with historical reenacting were so awesome?

(Somehow, they don't appear to be particularly cool in these pictures, do they?)

And yet, this book and its characters are A TON OF FUN!

After discovering the sheer awesomeness of Dungeons & Dragons' enthusiasts in Into the Wild Nerd Yonder and stage crew fanatics in Pink, learning about this new type of nerdery was a special, unexpected treat. Seriously, who would want to hang out with popular (=boring) people after getting to know this gang?

There is nothing in Past Perfect that I didn't like. Humor (and not a mean-spirited type, for a change) - check. Meaningful friendships - check. Cute romance - check. Batty, but sufficiently present parents - double check. Pranks, parties, cavorting with enemies, kidnappings - check, check, check!

I simply adored this novel!

Great find, Flannery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Past Perfect.

05/29/2011 page 50
17.0% "Good stuff!" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Witte I did a pioneer handcart trek one summer years ago and got heat exhaustion. Also, the title of the book makes me think of "Past Perfect" in the writing sense. Yes, I am a grammar nerd.

Tatiana I know what you mean about the title, but it makes sense for this story.

I bet that your dress was extra heavy and hot.

Flannery It reminded me of the past perfect tense as well, but I still like the title. (just not the cover) I'm so happy you liked it! I think my favorite part was how nerdy it all was--historically anachronistic pranks? Perfect:)

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Witte Oh yeah. Very heavy, and with the bonnet and apron, I thought I was going to die. This sounds like a fun read, so I'll have to see how they fared with the reenactments. :)

Emily May That cover doesn't make it look anything like what you described, I would never have guessed the story was about a historical reenactment.

A couple of years ago I got to participate in a historical reenactment set in a Viking village. I was actually there as one of the chaperones for the younger kids but it was awesome! I completely geeked out when we got to put on armor and go to war with the Saxons. LOL :D

message 5: by Tatiana (last edited May 31, 2011 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana Flannery wrote: "It reminded me of the past perfect tense as well, but I still like the title. (just not the cover) I'm so happy you liked it! I think my favorite part was how nerdy it all was--historically anachro..."

I especially loved how nerdy funny Bryan was:) And Chelsea's parents. Or when she was trying to flirt with that surfer boy using her graveyard stories:)

Tatiana And I totally agree, the cover has nothing to do whatsoever with the story.

message 3: by Manda (new) - added it

Manda guh! after reading the description i got so excited to read it, but then realized it's not to be out until October!?!?! darn you people and your ARCs! :)

Jessica-Robyn It sounds like a great story! I gotta admit though I am a "judge a book by its cover" sort of girl, such a major miss-step!
I'll put it on the list, ARC really do make you want more especilly with the date so far away! (Thanks Manda for the warning I wouldn't have seen that otherwise! :D)

Tatiana On a bright side, there is a great book to look forward to!