Jennifer's Reviews > Pandemonium

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: signed
Read from February 09 to 10, 2012

This book takes place "now" and "then". This confused the heck out of me for the first couple chapters probably because I didn't pay attention to the chapter's titles I was just so excited to get reading. "Then" starts in August and is everything that takes place from the minute Lena left Alex and ran into the wilds. We get to see every heartbreaking struggle as she found a new place to stay and met new people. She isn't sure whether she wants to live or die but she wants to be strong for Alex. She tries to imagine him and that she is getting stronger for him. Her thoughts of Alex continued to bring tears to my eyes throughout these scenes as well as all the hard struggles of life in the wilds. It is definitely not easy living free.

"Now" is in March and takes place in New York. Lena has joined the resistance, has a fake identity and is living among the cured. She is attending DFA(Deliria-Free America) meetings and rallys, keeping an eye on all the activity. People are more aware of the invalids and deliria now and want to give the cure at a younger age. They want to risk people dying from receiving the cure in order to lessen the chances of infecting the world. Although some are against this and don't want to risk death so the rallys get a bit crazy. Lena is told to keep watch on the son of the head of the movement, Julian Fineman. But during a big rally they both end up getting kidnapped. Lena has become really brave and strong now. She fights for their escape but there are lots of twists and turns along the way. I loved the action and couldn't put the book down. Finished it in one day! Lauren Oliver is amazing at keeping me emotionally invested and captivated.

But......there were a few things I personally didn't like about this book. I think the whole new love interest/love triangle cat is already out of the bag since it is mentioned in the description but all I'm going to say is pull out your Team Alex flags because I'm sorry to say it is definitely going to get ugly in Requiem. I was also really disappointed with it. The reason I loved Delirium so much was the fact that it was such a beautiful love story about sacrifices being made to be together and in Pandemonium I just feel like Lauren Oliver took a big ole crap on it. I'm just really sad with the story going the love triangle route. I am also really upset with a few details to it. They are in the spoiler button since they are a bit more spoilery so read at your own risk.

(view spoiler)

My last disappointment was that this book has one of the most horrible cliffhangers ever and I am willing to sell my soul to get my hands on the next book!!! It was an evil evil evil ending!!!!! After Delirium I think the author could have went a little easier on us. Don't worry we will be back for Requiem, you didn't need to do this to us! Once you read it you will understand and hopefully come back and freak out with me. If you have already read it and want to rant and discuss, direct message me, seriously!

THAT ENDING!!!
SON OF A BISCUIT!!!!! WTF!!! OMG!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! #$$@#T@^#@&^#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[image error]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandemonium.

02/09/2012 page 1
0.0% "Thank you Thank you @JenRyland I'm sooooo excited! And a bit nervous."
02/09/2012 page 76
20.0% "I'm crying already. This is a big pile of depression :-(" 5 comments
02/10/2012 page 362
97.0% "OMG It is like Deja Vu! Not again. I can't go on!"
show 1 hidden update…

Jennifer I am going to die waiting for this. The ending was soooo sad!

Jennifer Oh no I had a feeling she might fall for someone else in the invalid community but please tell me then she realizes Alex is still alive somewhere!

message 3: by Eloise (new) - added it

Eloise i hope she does realize!! i will cry if it doesn't work out between her and alex!!

Rebecca ♥ Aaron Warner, Magnus Damora ♥ Are you saying that cuz it was an ambiguous ending and we dont know if he is alive, or cuz he is but she just doesnt know it yet? Cuz I am an avid hater of sad endings. I wont read it if it doesnt work out. Maybe I should wait till this comes out so someone can tell me, before reading Delirium.

Amanda OHHH I SO CANNOT WAIT TO READ IT!

Jennifer Rebecca wrote: "Are you saying that cuz it was an ambiguous ending and we dont know if he is alive, or cuz he is but she just doesnt know it yet? Cuz I am an avid hater of sad endings. I wont read it if it doesnt ..."

I feel you. It is ambiguous. We don't know for sure. But some people that have read Pandemonium have hinted that she does meet some Julian guy that gives Alex a run for his money so I'm pretty sure Alex is alive I just don't know what has happened to him. But you might want to wait. I'll be reading it right when it comes out so I can let you know.

Jennifer Amanda wrote: "OHHH I SO CANNOT WAIT TO READ IT!"

Me either!

Rebecca ♥ Aaron Warner, Magnus Damora ♥ Jennifer wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Are you saying that cuz it was an ambiguous ending and we dont know if he is alive, or cuz he is but she just doesnt know it yet? Cuz I am an avid hater of sad endings. I wont read ..."

Cools. Thanks.

Connie Day ohh I sooo cant wait to read this book :(

Diane aggghh! i can't wait!!!!

Jennifer KILLLLLLLLLLLLLER Cliffhanger guys! Seriously! OMG

message 12: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Tint oh no!!!!

message 13: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri LOL---there was that.....I just slammed the book shut and stared at it...

message 14: by Tabatha (new) - added it

Tabatha I don't know if I can read this one, don't get me wrong, I really want to, but it seems like it's going to be really depressing :/

message 15: by Sunnykimmy (new) - added it

Sunnykimmy I thought she'd find out Alex was still alive, at least near the ending!!!!!!!! But I guess I did expect she'd fall for someone else in the meantime. Julian?! Are you kidding me! I read the excerpt and I met Julian and I don't know what to think of him.

Jennifer Teri wrote: "LOL---there was that.....I just slammed the book shut and stared at it..."

Okay! I was so mad! I was screeching reading the last pages because I saw it coming and I wanted part of it but didn't want it to happen like it did! And now we have to wait a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer Tabatha wrote: "I don't know if I can read this one, don't get me wrong, I really want to, but it seems like it's going to be really depressing :/"

Yeah it was a bit depressing. Not quite as bad as the first book but bad stuff happens and Lena is depressed over Alex and it made me cry.

Jennifer Sunnykimmy wrote: "I thought she'd find out Alex was still alive, at least near the ending!!!!!!!! But I guess I did expect she'd fall for someone else in the meantime. Julian?! Are you kidding me! I read the excerpt..."

Sadly I kind of like Julian but nooooo TEAM ALEX! LOL I hate love triangles and was hoping to not have one but I'm sorry to report Requiem will get ugly!!!!!

message 19: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 10, 2012 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Anyone who has read this feel free to DM me or email me somelikeitparanormal@yahoo.com so we can freak out together and go over those last three little words that were said that I can't figure out what they mean!!!

message 20: by Sunnykimmy (new) - added it

Sunnykimmy Ugh I'm sulking because I have to wait until the end of this month to read it.

Jennifer Sunnykimmy wrote: "Ugh I'm sulking because I have to wait until the end of this month to read it."

It's not too long! Plus with the cliffhanger you don't want to have to wait any longer for the last book. Once you read it come back and we will definitely discuss it!

★Genevieve★ can i read this w/o reading the first book or i need to start reading delirium? i feel like im missing out something here the way you reacted.. :D ♥

Jennifer ★Genevieve★ wrote: "can i read this w/o reading the first book or i need to start reading delirium? i feel like im missing out something here the way you reacted.. :D ♥"

Definitely missing out! A great series. You definitely have to read Delirium first though.

★Genevieve★ Jennifer wrote: "★Genevieve★ wrote: "can i read this w/o reading the first book or i need to start reading delirium? i feel like im missing out something here the way you reacted.. :D ♥"

Definitely missing out! A ..."

thanks! ♥

Samara Should I wait for the third book in the series, because I heard it ends in a cliffhanger sort of way?

Jennifer Samara wrote: "Should I wait for the third book in the series, because I heard it ends in a cliffhanger sort of way?"

It is a huge cliffhanger. If you can I would just wait to read them all at once.

Samara ok thanks! :)

Emily Right! THAT ENDING!!! I WAS LIKE REALLY? I CANNOT WAIT ANOTHER YEARF FOR THE NEXT BOOK! I MEAN REALLY?? That ending!!!! ALEX I LOVE YOU!!

Jennifer Emily wrote: "Right! THAT ENDING!!! I WAS LIKE REALLY? I CANNOT WAIT ANOTHER YEARF FOR THE NEXT BOOK! I MEAN REALLY?? That ending!!!! ALEX I LOVE YOU!!"

I know! It was cruel!

Weronika Jennifer I want to sell my soul as well. The ending ahh I can't even talk about it yet but let's just say it was plain cruel. I want to cry right now haha

Jennifer Weronika wrote: "Jennifer I want to sell my soul as well. The ending ahh I can't even talk about it yet but let's just say it was plain cruel. I want to cry right now haha"

Right! I couldn't get over it for days! LOL I still think about it and get upset all over again. Those last three words! What do they mean?!?!?!?!

Weronika I just finished it last night and I couldn't sleep! Jeez this book's got me all kind of crazy I don't think I've ever been this obsessed before. I hate/love Lauren for making me fall in love with J and then rip my heart out like that...No idea what's going to happen, what the words mean, I know NOTHING! LOL :)

message 33: by Jubilee (last edited Mar 02, 2012 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jubilee *There are a lot of spoilers in this comment*

When I read the ending of this book it felt like Lauren Oliver had just ripped my heart out and stomped all over it. The worst part is when Alex says "Don't believe her." because it's like, Alex was DEAD what did he expect her to do? Never move on? Be hung up on him forever? She watched him die. I would've thought he was dead too! Not to mention all she went through with Julian. For him to say that Julian shouldn't believe that she loves him after she just risked everything to save him is naive and wrong. It just doesn't make any sense that Alex would be so negative. It's not a good thing when people die and the people that love them don't ever get over it; he shouldn't be accusing her like it's a bad thing that she moved on. I'm not saying she can't end up with Alex in the last book, but I hope that Alex comes to his senses and realizes that Lena has been through a lot since she watched him die and Julian was there to comfort her when she felt the most alone. The last thing Lena needs is a guilt trip from Alex. If he truly ever loved her he would be more understanding and he would want her to be happy. The Alex I remember from the first book would have wanted that.

Having said that, you're right about Lena not really looking for Alex. The way I see it, she truly believed Alex was dead. At the beginning of the book she asks Raven if the person she escaped with survived and Raven gives her a look that makes her believe that Raven heard that Alex is dead. I mean, she had no reason to believe Alex was still alive-- I'm still curious as to how he survived all those gunshots to the chest. Still, if I were her I would have looked for Alex's name in the prison list. But I also would've figured out that the umbrella had a knife in it like 5 minutes after I woke up in the prison cell. The entire time I was reading that part of the book I was like, omg Tack obviously didn't give you that umbrella for no reason. And even if he did, it's worth investigating since you have nothing better to do locked in that cell. It just goes to show Lena isn't very intuitive.

Jennifer Jubilee wrote: "*There are a lot of spoilers in this comment*

I'm thinking Alex probably doesn't know at this point that Lena thought he was dead. I bet he probably thinks she knew he was in the crypts and just didn't bother coming to save him like he came to save her. And a year in those crypts will have given him some series post traumatic stress syndrome.

As for Lena looking for Alex, She said she saw blood and gun shots but she ran so fast that I don't think she really got a good look. I'm not sure how injured he really got. She did ask Raven(I don't trust that B*tch at all!) But she didn't say for sure so I wish Lena pushed her into saying so DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE? OR ARE YOU ASSUMING? Later she says everyone she meets had heard about the event. That it caused a big stir and that deliveries would stopped for awhile. So she could have continued to ask the people in the wilds if they heard anything. It wouldn't have hurt to double check. Honestly my first thought at the end of Delirium was that they would throw him in the crypts so I was mad Lena wouldn't even ask about that or check the prison records.

message 35: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy Oh god... I just finished it... I'm a mess... Lol... Im feeling a little crazy with this... I loved it so much don't get me wrong but... I think I need like a Prozac or something! Hahah!

Jennifer Suzy wrote: "Oh god... I just finished it... I'm a mess... Lol... Im feeling a little crazy with this... I loved it so much don't get me wrong but... I think I need like a Prozac or something! Hahah!"

haha RIGHT?! I was warned that I would want a Valium to handle that ending! I'm so happy and upset both. Not happy with the new guy. He's really going to throw a wrench into the next book.

message 37: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily OMG the ending was so annoying! How could it just end like that?
And poor Lena. Now she has to choose.
I love them both..<3 I'm actually wondering who she'll choose.

message 38: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie I FREAKING HATE THAT CLIFFHANGER WHICH WAS THE BIGGEST CLIFFHANGER OF ALL HUGE CLIFFHANGERS!!!! that was so cruel and now i have to wait ANOTHER year to get my hands on Requiem, which isn't actually a word..
seriously, Alex I love you!!! and it was really annoying that Lena fell in love with Julian after like not even bothering to see if Alex was dead or not. I always knew he was alive...
and if she ends up Julian, I'm gonna shoot someone.

message 39: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 05, 2012 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Annie wrote: "if she ends up Julian, I'm gonna shoot someone."

HAHAHA Ditto this!

Kathlyn i really wished lena never came back for julian. he just never grew into me, and i didn't like him from the start. i was rolling my eyes all the while i was reading things about them. ughh.. alex.. I really hope lena will still end up with him.. i don't want lena to be like, "the past is past." can we start a petition for alex or something? :P

message 41: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie YES! i will sign that petition. or kill Julian. either is a viable option.

message 42: by Kathlyn (last edited Mar 11, 2012 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kathlyn Annie wrote: "YES! i will sign that petition. or kill Julian. either is a viable option."

Jennifer Kathlyn wrote: "Annie wrote: "YES! i will sign that petition. or kill Julian. either is a viable option."

Now that's a good suggestion too for a petition! Maybe I should start a hate page on Facebook for Julian >:]"

lol I would "like" that facebook page!

Emily Annie wrote: "YES! i will sign that petition. or kill Julian. either is a viable option."

I'd sign it!!

Kathlyn Alright! so how should we start this petition? Ideas? ^_^

Jessica I voted :)!

Elizabeth Great review! i'm reading this book now and the "now" and "then" part totally confused me!

Krista I'm so excited for the next book. But that ending?! Are you kidding me??! Im half happy he's alive, ok really happy, but super worked up over the fact that he just saw her kissing another guy promising him to be together!! Im worried he wont forgive her! If he only knew how much she thought of him &missed him, he'd have to understand ... RIGHT??!

Jennifer Krista wrote: "I'm so excited for the next book. But that ending?! Are you kidding me??! Im half happy he's alive, ok really happy, but super worked up over the fact that he just saw her kissing another guy promi..."

I'm super worried! I just read a teaser quote from Requiem where Lena is asking why Alex cares since he hates her?!

Krista Whoa whoa whoa! Tell me where you got the teaser quote?! And tell me, who do you honestly think she'll end up with ... my bet is on Alex, it'd be more of a hurdle to get over, ya know?

« previous 1