Cindy Vine's Reviews > Sing You Home

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

2001834
May 25, 11

I own a copy

In Sing You Home, Jodi Picoult writes about a multitude of controversial issues, she doesn't just stick to one like in the others, and I think that gave this book a lot of depth. The issues were quite topical and immediately drew you in. Her characterization was excellent, and complimented her tricky plot. The ending was completely predictable, but because she got everything else right, that was okay. There was a certain comfort in what you expected was going to happen at the end, happening.
I liked the way she didn't stereotype the two lesbians in the story, and didn't paint them to be freaks of nature as some other authors might have done, she let them keep their femininity.
I wonder though, how some churchgoers will react to her descriptions of the born-again Christians portrayed in the story, as they are not shown in a very good light. I do think some might take offence at that.
For me there was just one loose end - Lucy. I really wanted that to be resolved and Zoe to be applauded for the good work she did with her, and for Lucy to turn against her fanatical parents and go over to Zoe's side and support Zoe. But things don't always work out the way you want in real life and Picoult does write realistic fiction.
Jodi Picoult does need to be commended for her bravery in tackling contentious issues, and sparking plenty of heated debates in book clubs. Her research is also always top drawer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sing You Home.