Tevian's Reviews > NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children

NurtureShock by Po Bronson

U_50x66
May 25, 11

This book was truly eye opening for me. This book outlines specific behaviors and situations that I had experienced in my childhood. If only my parents read this book when I was younger. I'll paraphrase a little. One section that rings true for me was about the "inverse power of praise" in younger children. Creating a situation where children develop behaviors that keep them from trying anything new or "outside their comfort zone". These behaviors manifest as an abnormally strong fear of being viewed as deficient or stupid to others and especially there parents. Using praise too frequently gives raise to an under-appreciation of effort. Only choosing easily completed tasks or challenges for the sack of receiving praise for being "smart". I recognize this behavior in me as a child and have no doubt it effects me as an adult to this day. Also the section about kids that learn lying at younger ages develop better social skills and are more adept at social interactions is very fascinating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NurtureShock.