oliviasbooks's Reviews > Unraveling Isobel

Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook

If I were a fan of young adult psycho-thrillers "Unraveling Isobel" would surely represent a jackpot:

High School Senior Isobel, who has just moved with her girly and gullible mom from Seattle to a small island, because her mother decided to marry recently widowed mansion owner Dick, pardon Richard, after a mere three months long internet-based aquaintance, narrates the Northanger-Abbey-touched story with much spunk and verve and an altogether cheeky, slightly angry (understandable) and very funny voice. Stepbrother and potential love-interest Nathaniel ads a deliciously creamy layer to the Far-away-from-my-best-friend-help-I-am-recruited-as-a-cheerleader-by-the-queen-bee/bitch drama (Really, he is cute enough to eat), and ghostly apparitions at night throw some wholesome thrill in the mix.

But to me Isobel's helplessness and insecurity, when her new set of "parents" starts to accuse her of being mentally ill - like her father, whom her money-and-fame-crazed mom quickly shoved out, when he couldn't hand her the perfect future she had wished for - without caring or listening a tiny, little bit, plus the slowly crawling, yet ungrappable danger of the mansion Morrigan and its former and recent inhabitants were definitely too "thrilling" and too severe for me to enjoy. Though I should not leave the fact unmentioned that neglectful and blatantly selfish parents in children's and young adult fiction always give me, personally, the boiling blisters (view spoiler). For other readers the psychotic thrill might be only lukewarm and the mom-caused reader's rage young adult standard fare.

Should you happen to like your young adult romances paired with haunted mansions, crime, manipulation and looming possibilites of craziness, "Unraveling Isobel" might become your next favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveling Isobel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Should you happen to like your young adult romances paired with haunted mansions, crime, manipulation and looming possibilites of craziness,

Sold! Hee hee. But I'll temper my expectations.

message 2: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Fab review Olivia. I am not entirely sure this book is my thing :) I have read one Eileen Cook before and liked her style (although it was a bit younger YA than I usually read)

anyway, I got it from galleygrab, so I will get to it... one day :))