Cathy's Reviews > Sex and the River Styx

Sex and the River Styx by Edward Hoagland

May 24, 11

Read in May, 2011

I love Edward Hoagland, who writes personal essays about nature, and human nature. My favorite of his books is still "The Courage of Turtles," but this collection is interesting, especially since, at seventy nine-years-old, Hoagland has formed some strong opinions about marriage, benefactorship, and the future of the planet. He repeats himself on certain topics but his travel essays are fresh. My favorite pieces are the first and the last in the collection: "Small Silences," and "Sex and the River Styx" Great title, too, isn't it?
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex and the River Styx.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa okay I just ordered "The Courage of Turtles" from the library..I figured I would start with his best book! I also have started the "Fiddler in the Subway" as you recommended. The book is seriously keeping me up way too late at night--always the sign of a great one!

Cathy oh, good! I can't wait to talk to you about Fiddler.

Cathy I should warn you, Edward Hoagland is a hard one to recommend to friends because his sentences are really long and his sentence structure is often unusual. Unusual can mean surprising and delightful, or jarring and odd.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Funny! Now I'm curious. I'll be expecting something unique.