Jace's Reviews > The Five Fists Of Science

The Five Fists Of Science by Matt Fraction

May 31, 11

bookshelves: comics
Read from May 24 to 25, 2011

Given the premise of this book, I had high expectations for a historical-fantasy adventure. But this turned out to be an unfortunate example of a great concept ruined by poor execution. The basic premise is this: a group of inventors and industrialists (Thomas Edison, J.P. Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, etc) have begun to dabble in the dark arts and are planning to summon a Lovecraftian horror to devour New York City. (I have no idea why--the reader is given no insight into their actions.) Nikola Tesla and Mark Twain build a giant robot to stop them. The End. That's seriously the extent of the story. There's very little plot development and almost no characterization, other than a few disposable Twain-esque witticisms. I was really surprised to see a book with so much promise fizzle out so disappointingly. The lack of depth leaves this book feeling like a cheap League of Extraordinary Gentlemen rip-off. I'm not sure what the big deal is with Matt Fraction. People seem to like his stuff, but if this is any indication, he's highly overrated.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Fists Of Science.