Jules's Reviews > Dark Descendant

Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

May 24, 2011

bookshelves: blog-tour, reviewed, sent-4-review

I don't envy the people who had to decide which genre and sub-genres to place this book in. It is one of those stories that has a little bit of everything: urban fantasy, mythology, romance, paranormal, drama, crime fiction, etc.. I think it is classified as adult urban fantasy so we'll go with that. (There are adult situations and some violence so I would think adult is an important designation.)

I stayed up late at night reading this book. It was packed with action and kept me turning the pages until I was finished in the wee hours of the night. I instantly liked the main character of Nikki. She is a fairly typical hard-ass PI protagonist, but her sense of humor and her acknowledgement of her own issues makes her very relatable.

The other characters were also well written. Jamaal is probably one of my favorites at this point, but Loki's descendant Jack is intriguing as well. There are many different personalities that make for an exciting story full of conflict. I am a fan of Greek mythology so I really enjoyed getting to know some of the different offspring of the various Gods that Jenna Black has "discovered". The fact that she has included the Olympians as the opposing faction makes for some really interesting storyline opportunities. I am really looking forward to the next installments in this fantastic new series. Maybe something along the lines of Blake and Steph????

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Descendant.