Beatrice's Reviews > Cowboy Keeper

Cowboy Keeper by Stormy Glenn

May 24, 11

bookshelves: gay-romance, contemporary
Read on May 23, 2011 — I own a copy

Let me start off by saying that Cowboy Keeper is, by far, Stormy Glenn's smoothest and best edited book ever. I applaud both the author and the editor for producing a book that isn't rife with the most common of errors - unlike Stormy Glenn's earlier books which, most of the time, contained spelling mistakes and a few grammatical errors here and there. You can definitely see the author's improvement - in both the elements of pure storytelling and raw writing. My reading experience was smooth and generally undisturbed; the only thing that tore me away from continuously devouring this book was the show I was watching on television.

On the storytelling front, I cannot say for sure if this was the most original of plots ever. I haven't read all of Stormy Glenn's works, but I can most definitely say that this shines above all the rest. Wow... Just, wow. I felt my heart clench for Billy; I was there with him through his pain and recovery. I never doubted that the author would be able to craft an engaging storyline every single time she puts out a book - that is why, after all, I keep coming back for more of her books even though the basic writing is far from perfect most of the time. It's like a guilty pleasure; you know that it's not entirely good for you, but you can't help but be addicted to it. Her stories are intriguing, and I would definitely love to live in her imagination.

Now, on the writing part - as I've said before, this book contains little to no errors. Sure, at times Billy would often say sentences that are grammatically incorrect, but as Rourke points out in the book, it may just be verbal tic or habit that arises when Billy is under high pressure or stress. Cut the boy some slack; he'd only finished up to eighth grade, you know. But putting that aside, everything else is great. I don't know if this is a collective effort between the author and her editor, but either way, I am amazed by the both of them.

I guess the only problem I have with this book is how fast Rourke seems to fall in love with Billy. Of course, this is a Stormy Glenn book, so expect some love happening within the first half of the book, but I don't know. It's a minor thing of course, because it definitely doesn't take away from the essence of the book - which is, you know, Billy's development and recovery. But in a way, I can see Rourke falling in love that fast as well. Maybe he's been in love with Billy all this time, except he couldn't see past the troubling reputation Billy has. But uh, again, either way, I didn't really care.

Stormy Glenn is on the top of her game in Cowboy Keeper. If ever you have never read her books, or if you simply have given up on her after countless books that were less-than-satisfactory, I suggest you give this book a try. With engaging and fantastic storytelling and wonderful editing, this may be her best work just yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cowboy Keeper.