The Library Lady's Reviews > The Fallen Kings

The Fallen Kings by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

May 24, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: adult-fiction, historical_fiction

I have read this entire series, hunting down used copies because my library only had the most recent books, and generally enjoying it. I've found that the earlier books weren't as good as the more recent ones and that the Morlands of the 19th and now 20th centuries have been the realest and the most engaging.

I might have rated this a 3, or even a 3 1/2 bumped up to a 4 save for the fact the Cynthia Harrod-Eagles has chosen to revise history, and as someone who wrote a whole trilogy (the Anna books) set in Czarist Russia, she should be ashamed of herself.

Yes, I know, since the Morlands are connected to nobility, etc, etc, it makes lots of sense for them to brush sleeves with lots of historical characters. But dragging the Romanovs into it was gratuitous, to say the least. And NOW in this book she has gone, so to speak, "Anastasia" on her readers and changed what happened to the Romanov family in 1918.

I don't know where she's going with this. But in an age where so many people glean their knowledge of history from bad movies, it does a disservice for an author writing "historical fiction" to twist history to suit their own plot lines. And it tends to piss off people like me who DO study history!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallen Kings.

Karen Interesting comment. I was bemused by the mismatch with my recollection of the Romanov story. I wonder if CHE has commented anywhere on her reasons for approaching this part of history in this way?