Julia's Reviews > Red Audrey and the Roping

Red Audrey and the Roping by Jill Malone

Mar 11, 2009

bookshelves: started-but-couldn-t-finish, queer-lit
Read in March, 2009

Definitely written at a higher level than the average bear in lesbian fiction, but didn't meet my "grab me by 20 pages in" requirement for book reviews. Problem: I didn't feel like I had a reason to care about what happens to the main character by that point. Writing style was solid enough (an accomplishment in its own right in this genre) that I will give Malone's next book a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Audrey and the Roping.

Bett I am truly sorry that Red Audrey didn't "grab" you in the first twenty pages. It's just been placed on the short list for a 2009 Lambda award for debut fiction, and I am still enthralled and delighted by this novel. It certainly grabbed me. I have never been so excited about finding a new writer. Malone is skilled, with a surety of style one would expect to find in a much More seasoned(published) author. She writes characters of depth and subtlety. The style and tone of this book reminds me of listening to great jazz.

message 2: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia I'm rather sorry I didn't take to it, too. I was really looking forward to it, and I congratulate Malone on her Lambda shortlisting. I have to chalk this one up to a personal taste thing rather than a quality issue.

message 3: by Bett (last edited Mar 25, 2009 01:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bett I recommend another Bywater book that's just out, Verge, by Z Egloff. Funny, great writing. And Jill Malone has a new novel coming soon, The Field Guide to Deception, which may be more to your liking. The first two chapters are posted on her web site, and it reads like it's going to be very good.
I should mention my own book, I suppose. What's Best for Jane will be out in October.