Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > With This Ring, I Thee Bed

Jul 09, 11

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, anthology, romance, short-stories
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

This collection of 25 Erotic Romance stories are, as the title suggests, written around the theme of marriage, especially weddings. Since there's so much in the way of sexual undercurrents around weddings and marriage, it's a perfect theme.

There are stories on the bride and groom getting naughty just before the ceremony starts; stories of the bachelor and hen's night and the honeymoon; and one great story about a marriage about to end in divorce that gets a timely second chance. Most of the authors are women but there are a few male authors here too, and two stories from the editor, Alison Tyler.

I enjoyed quite a few of the stories, but the ones that take place just before the wedding ceremony grated on me a bit because the characters kept focusing on all those ridiculous traditions and superstitions that so many people still insist upon. I get stressed just watching those TV shows around weddings, where people make themselves miserable because they insist on doing things a certain way for no real reason except lack of imagination. I had hoped the authors of this anthology would have a bit more fun with the wedding theme rather than simply staying within the confines of safe and normal.

Some of the stories are definitely racier than others. There are a couple of gay stories here too, which was a good addition even if they tended to lose out to the heterosexual norm (within the stories), which just made me feel sorry for the characters. About halfway through I worried about my choice in getting this book - I'm really not a fan of weddings at all, especially the traditional kind, so it was the kind of book I could only pick up for short stretches of time before giving myself a rest, or I'd feel too swamped by wedding crap. For one or two at a time, though, it was fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With This Ring, I Thee Bed.