Noran Miss Pumkin's Reviews > Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: 2010-booklist, odd-reads
Read from May 24 to 27, 2011

This book I can relate to in funny ways. I live in the Chicagoland portion of Indiana--we as known as the lost county "Lake". We know all about Chi-town happening/sports, then who/what/where is going on the "Cross Roads of the Nation"-state motto. Second, I work at an Er with Psych services--so I can relate to the characters and their issues. Mental and drug/alcohol/loose sex. Finally I helped moved a friend decades ago to a small town, out in farmland USA--teaching me about a new culture I was not aware of.

The main character grew up in Wind Gap, and escaped to the high life of Chicago-when it had real newspapers (RIP Chicago Daily News).
Her boss sends her on a story back in her old neck of the woods, to follow-up on a little girl's murder a year ago. Yeah, she arrives and another body is found. It seems like a contest, to see which family member is the craziest and why/how.

This was one of those books you buy used, at a yard sale, for the cover art. Then after being kicked about for a year or so--you figure to read it finally. The book had its moments, but rushed the ending--suddenly changing the pace of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp Objects.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Noran Miss Pumkin This one of those books you buy used at a yard sale-just because of its cover design. It then gets moved all around the house for 1-2 years-before you even bother to see what it is about.

Well this had some depth to it. Chicago reporter --with issues-- goes back to her small town to follow a murder or two. I know chicago, when it had several newspapers-RIP Chicago Daily News-the best of them. I also know someone that moved to a small town--can see all that the reporters says about Wind Gap and more. Has a little too much booze in it for me, but the reporter's issues is what gets this book its 4th star. I just wonder if there are others out there like her?