slayra's Reviews > Tempest Rising

May 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, in-english, uf-and-pnr, young-adult
Read from May 23 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy

RATING: 3 stars.

I may or may not have mentioned before that I love mermaids. I love their mythology and I love "The Little Mermaid". So I must say I am pretty happy with this recent 'explosion' of mermaid 'heroines' in Urban Fantasy books. Too bad most of these books are targeted to younger crowds. That was actually my main problem with this particular book.

"Tempest Rising" is your typical Young Adult paranormal romance, complete with the whiny heroine, the inevitable love triangle and the insta-romance. Plus the story was a crossover between Harry Potter and... well, I suppose it reminded me a bit of "Goddess of the Sea" by P.C. Cast. Not too much though.

I actually really liked the author's descriptions of Tempests' gradual metamorphosis into mermaid. It seemed like it could actually happen that way and she mentioned details I haven't read in other mermaid related books (the breathing system, etc)... after all it's not only about the tail. I also thought the writing was very accessible and it pulled you into the book.

What I didn't like so much were all the flagrant stereotypes in the plot which were, as I referred before the love triangle, the insta-romance and the whiny heroine or the fact that I kept thinking it all looked like Harry Potter with mermaids and a sea witch instead of Voldemort. Come on, there was even a prophecy! :P

The characters weren't much better, as they were mostly stereotypes. I think the author tried some character development by having the characters talk and talk but unfortunately it didn't work as most of the dialogue 'sounded' kind of long-winded, circular and pointless. I really disliked Tempest sometimes, although overall I could stand her just fine. She just didn't have that much of a personality and the same happened with her love interests (one was jealous and the other was jealous and tortured/protective).

Overall, I enjoyed this book as a light, unoriginal read that features my favorite mythological creature. While Deebs did have moments of great world building, she failed at making this book something special... it's just another YA paranormal romance. A great, light and fun beach read.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.