William's Reviews > The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America

The Shame of the Nation by Jonathan Kozol

Sep 11, 09

bookshelves: must-read-5-stars
Read in August, 2009

This book makes me, and hopefully you, very angry...He shows us how we make sure that Black and the double whammy of Black and poor, live in a society no different then the worst of apartheid S.A. If we admit that early education is critical to later success than how can we let generations of poor children have a system that spends less in some cases than a tenth of what is spent on rich children by our supposedly classless government?? Our country is the only industrialized one that funds education by property taxes..which of course poor people have less of ..than by equal per capita expenditures... we GUARANTEE that the poor will be under served by education. But the book is not a screed or polemic..it shows the inherent bias of magnet schools and the devastation caused by white and black middle class flight..perhaps you won't give up that middle class dream of sending your "gifted" child to private school but you will feel less inclined to take public money away from those who can least afford it to fund thinly veiled schemes to keep the apartheid system now in place functioning...Hard to believe but true..todays schools are grossly..100 times...more segregated than they were at the time of Brown VS the Board of Education which outlawed segregation..where is the outcry?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shame of the Nation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jo (new)

jo i read a long article by him that was a precis of this book in, i think, harper's (mother jones?). outrageous.