Tina's Reviews > Past Perfect

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: arc, ebooks, contemporary, 2011, galley-grab, ya
Read from September 23 to 26, 2011

Original post at One More Page

Oh how this cover lies. This cover has absolutely nothing to do with the story, no matter how cute it looks. I know covers are really for sales, and I may be able to forgive this if the book gets more sales because of the cover. Still, I can't see any connection.

But anyway, in Past Perfect , Chelsea is stuck in the past -- literally and figuratively. Chelsea is back to work for the summer in the Essex Historical Colonial Village, where she dresses up as a colonial woman named Elizabeth Connelly, and it was really the last place she wanted to be. She wanted to get out even more when she finds that her ex-boyfriend and first love, Ezra, is also working in Essex. And she's far from getting over him. But when Chelsea falls for a guy from the Civil War Reenactmentland next door who has been at war with Essex for as long as they can remember, it makes Chelsea's summer a little more complicated than what she expected.

Past Perfect is my first Leila Sales read, but I've been curious about her other book, Mostly Good Girls , because of the good reviews it has been getting. I was really glad that Galley Grab had this up in their list. :) I love that the book is set in a historical village -- I'm not too fond of history back in school, but if I had the chance to visit places like this, I probably would like it a lot more! I'm not sure if we have a historical village here in the Philippines. I think the closest we have of one is in Vigan, Ilocos Sur, but I don't think it's even close to what Chelsea had at Essex.

Chelsea is a real darling in this novel, and she's someone I would like to be friends with. She's funny, witty and honest -- far from perfect as she makes some pretty stupid decisions in the book, but all in good faith and she learned from it in the end. I liked how even if she didn't really like working in Essex, she still considers her friends there as family, at least even for the summer. I wasn't able to get any summer jobs when I was in school because summer was really just for lazing around or attending YFC activities, but I also do know the feeling of having a "summer family". I also really liked Fiona, Chelsea's best friend. She seems like a really good friend and one of those who will definitely have your back even if she seems flighty at first. The supporting characters were also quite stellar, and I think the thing that made them so fun was the war. I don't think I could ever be a part of a war like that. I have no competitive bone in my body. I loved reading about the strategies and the intimidation and such, though. :D

I also liked how the idea of moving on is tackled in this book. It's true: sometimes we tend to idolize certain experiences or people because they're the only things we can hold onto when it's all over, but when you really think about it, these moments in history aren't always the shining, shimmering, splendid moments we thought they were. We tend to wear rose-colored glasses over some things and people, and when it's time to move on, we need to remove it and see things as they really are and not as what we want it. I liked how this lesson was juxtaposed with the actual historical setting that the characters worked in. It made what Chelsea learned more resonant somehow.

I didn't exactly fall head over heels in love with this book, because the "I could relate to this!" factor was kind of low. However, it is a very fun novel, and I can't think of anything that I disliked about this. Now to get myself a copy of Mostly Good Girls . :)
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Past Perfect.

09/23/2011 page 36
09/24/2011 page 167
52.0% "I have a theory that the first person you fall for creates a model for how you approach relationships going forward. Like, it frames how you'll look every person who you date after that.(p135)"
show 2 hidden updates…